BPS Carbonlite Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BPS Carbonlite Reel

Post by Big Al » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:48 am

First time out yesterday and used my Carbonlite reel. I can honestly say I'm impressed. I've read all good reviews on this reel and decided to try one. The reel casts as nice as my Alphas. The dual braking system can really be dialed in. I was throwing a 1/4 spinnerbait when a 2 1/2 lb largie hit. The drag was very smooth as this fish peeled some line. Just wanted to post my experience with this reel. I hope the reliability is there.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BPS Carbonlite Reel

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:01 am

I don't own one but used one of my buddy's. Its really nice and great value. BPS has good quality reels for a good price. Not anywhere near the quality of Zillions or Curado's/Chronarchs but comparable to Shimano's Citica and Diawa's TD-A HSTA.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:30 am

I've heard they're the same thing as a Pro Qualifier only lighter.. can anyone confirm?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 am

Bassboss wrote:I've heard they're the same thing as a Pro Qualifier only lighter.. can anyone confirm?
I am 95% sure they are the same reel. The Carbonlite is what you would call the suped up version of the Proqualifier. These reels are very similar (looks and design) to that of the Abu Revo Line of reels.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:25 am

Bassboss wrote:I've heard they're the same thing as a Pro Qualifier only lighter.. can anyone confirm?
i have both and believe they are basically the same except that the carbonlite substitutes duralumin on the gears and driveshaft (instead of brass) and duralumin for the spool (instead of machined aluminum). that and a different handle, obviously.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 pm

I have used one since last season and have been very impressed with it also. If I was purchasing another reel in that price range I would choose the Carbonlite over a Citica or Revo S. I've owned all 3 but sold the Citica, really the only reason I keep the Revo is because of sentimental value. IMO you get a lot more for your money compared to other offerings in that price range. The only question is long term durability but so far mine is holding up fine.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:04 pm

I've got 1 Carbonlite and 3 of the Pro Qualifier Tournamnents and am as happy with them as I have been any other reels I have owned. They are very comfortable to palm, they're light weight, and very smooth. One of the things I like about them most is there is no play in them like the Fuegos I used to have when engaging the reels.

I'm going to get another Carbonlite in the next few months and change it to 5:1. The only Daiwa reel I'm still using is a 5:1 Fuego, and that should replace it.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:42 pm

I own three Carbonlite reels. The dual brakes make them my preferred casting reel for cranks. I bought them while on sale for $99. At that price, if they last 3 or 4 years I'll be satisfied.

My biggest gripe is the color. I'm not a fan but I deal with it. It (sadly) matches really well with my Flex Lite and I've had them on my DX rods too.

I too found it a good reel for the money. Lots of value for performance, light weight and casting distance.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:47 am

capt1fish wrote:I own three Carbonlite reels. The dual brakes make them my preferred casting reel for cranks. I bought them while on sale for $99. At that price, if they last 3 or 4 years I'll be satisfied.

My biggest gripe is the color. I'm not a fan but I deal with it. It (sadly) matches really well with my Flex Lite and I've had them on my DX rods too.

I too found it a good reel for the money. Lots of value for performance, light weight and casting distance.
It does actually look pretty good on the FlexLites :lol: The frame matches up well with the AirBeam seat on the SVF Steez rods also.

I had a couple of Steez 103HA's and a 100HA when I got the Carbonlite. The Steez always seemed a little "worked" when using them for cranks and bigger spinnerbaits, although I loved them for pitching jigs & plastics. The Carbonlite seemed to (to me) handle moving baits better.

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:57 pm

I own both the Carbonlite and the Pro qualifier, can't stand the color of the Carbonlite so I switched out every single part thats lighter on the Carbonlite to the Pro. Now I love the Pro qualifier as light as the Carbonlite use to be which I guess is now the Carbon Heavy :lol: Will probably never use the Carbonlite now :big grin:

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:50 am

you could have just gotten the PQ tournament...it's the same reel as the Carbonlite, minus the handle.

Cheaper too...

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-P ... 5/-1673056

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:45 am

taylor5877 wrote:you could have just gotten the PQ tournament...it's the same reel as the Carbonlite, minus the handle.
you're forgetting the carbonlite's use of duralumin (a harder aluminum alloy) for the drilled spool and crankshaft versus aluminum for both in the PQT and brass for the crankshaft in the PQ.

also, when a reel employs a one-piece aluminum frame, the manufacturer almost always touts the fact. the description for the PQT says nothing about a one-piece aluminum frame.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:59 pm

21farms wrote:
taylor5877 wrote:you could have just gotten the PQ tournament...it's the same reel as the Carbonlite, minus the handle.
you're forgetting the carbonlite's use of duralumin (a harder aluminum alloy) for the drilled spool and crankshaft versus aluminum for both in the PQT and brass for the crankshaft in the PQ.

also, when a reel employs a one-piece aluminum frame, the manufacturer almost always touts the fact. the description for the PQT says nothing about a one-piece aluminum frame.
The PQT has an aluminum frame, says so on the box. I couldn't tell you if there is a difference in the crankshaft in the CL & PQT, they both look the same to me. There's really not that much difference in the CL & PQT. The CL spool is drilled more, the cast control clicks, you get the different handle, and the drag star and cast control are more of a smokey chrome vs the brushed aluminum of the PQT/PQ.