Lews speed spool vs. BPS Pro Qualifier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Lews speed spool vs. BPS Pro Qualifier

Post by Bassboss » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:28 am

Hey ya'll! I'm hoping to get job this summer and get a decent combo for 4. :lol: Nothing high end at all, just looking for a good value. I've been told by a Reel Mechanic that the BPS Pro Qualifier is better than a revo S internally, and uses a lot of components from Higher end revos and pflugers, he places them some where between a Revo SX and STX. He also believes that stock Bearing on the PQ are better than the ones on the Revo's. So I'm sure it's a great reel!

I've also heard great things about the new Lews Speed Spool, all be it less, but that's because they're so new. So has anyone been able to compare the Lews speed spool and BPS Pro Qualifier? If so where is one better than the other. I'll likely pair it with a Kistler Argon since you can get them for so cheap on E-Bay.

Thanks a lot! :)

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lews speed spool vs. BPS Pro Qualifier

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 am

well at first glance...

Lew's weighs less (8.1 oz. vs 8.8 oz.)
BPS has duel breaking (which is both magnetic and centrifugal vs Lew's has only magnetic breaking)
Lews is $10 less ($89 vs $99) and with TW's 10% its even less then that
BPS comes in several different gear rations...Lews has one less ratio available then BPS (not really much of an issue, but it does depend on what you will be using the combo for)

Honestly, if you plan on casting lighter lures I'd go with the BPS because of the duel breaking (can handle 1/8 up to 2 o.z. no problem, depending on break settings)

If you have a limit of around $100, I strongly suggest checking out a Shimano Citica...you can find them on ebay for $90 bucks...the Citica is essentially a Curado with less bearings. As you keep working and making more and more money you can even upgrade the bearings to Boca Orange Seals to get much better free spool, distance, and casting ability.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Lews speed spool vs. BPS Pro Qualifier

Post by finfinder » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Listen to the reel mechanic. I've got three Pro Qualifiers and I'll probably buy another. The dual braking system rules. The Pro Qualifier also has a track record, I'm on my third season with mine without any issues( and I fIsh almost daily ), the Lews.... too new to tell.