Zillion Type R or Calais 200ASV ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Stephan Bohm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Zillion Type R or Calais 200ASV ?

Post by Stephan Bohm » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:23 am

Faithful old Chronarch B died on me last fall and I need a replacement. The reel will primarily be used for Muskie, Pike, and some bass and will need to hold up to long days with large baits. I have narrowed my search to the aforementioned reels and have heard good things about both but do not know which is the better buy. If you recommend the zillion should I go for the type R or buy the standard version? Would really appreciate another opinion before I commit to a reel. Thanks!

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion Type R or Calais 200ASV ?

Post by big_gee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:30 am

Both great reels. That being said I have 3 Zillion Type R's and absolutely love them. Smooth as can be with great drags.

After reading the TT review you know it will work with big baits and small baits.

If you can test them both out I would suggest that.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 am

really cant go wrong with either...

not a fan of round reels?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:30 am

They are both awesome reels and you would do well with either. Pick the one that feels the most comfortable to you.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:07 am

The Calais only comes in 5.0:1 or 6.2:1, while the Type-R is 7.3:1. I guess it comes down to choosing the right retrieve speed for your applications. They're both nice, but since I own the Type-R and love it, I am naturally biased towards it. I'm not too fond of the styling of the Calais, but that's just my opinion.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:09 pm

I have a Calais 200ASV on a Loomis SWBR 904c and use it for big topwaters like a super spook, deps buzzjet, and smaller swimbaits like the 5" and 6" molded Lunker Punker, the 3:16 baby wake and even the 3:16 freestyle shad floater. It has the line capacity, smoothness, power, retrieve rate and castability I want in a reel for these techniques. I wouldn't want an ultra high speed reel for these applications and the Calais 200APV works nicely for me.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:06 pm

IMO, if you want the Type R, wait for the 6.3:1 version as it will likely handle all the techs for muskies, pike and bass better.

Nothing wrong with the ASV though...great reel.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:22 am

Maybe a lure range could narrow down the search, I fish pike and skis myself and I consider large lures
for the essox variety to easily exceed 2-3 ozs. At these weights, I like the 300E for fast retrieves and
the Toros for winching duties with high resistance baits. True muskie fishing will wear out a traditional
bass reel and you can start to look at Conquests (awesome muskie reels) at the prices you're throwing
out there. Good luck, Eric.