Interested in a TD type R

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Interested in a TD type R

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:01 am

georgeweeber wrote:Thanks for all the input. I went and ordered the type R yesterday. I really didnt need to spend the money but after hearing all the praise for daiwa reels I had to try one out for myself. I will report back on how it turns out.
My condolences on your first step toward the dark side. :evil22:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

OK...I'm done now...that's a might fine reel you just ordered. =D>

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:21 am

RWSCHMITZ wrote:???? on the Zillion R how much braid in 65lb will it hold ??????????? I know it is rated at 100 yds of 16lb, but Daiwa is on the high side, I have found. Also does anyone sell a deep spool for the Zillion ????????? I want to run 65lb braid and have over 80yds.
You can start with a TD-Z BBS spool. BTW, now Mag-V or Z, just pain Mag

Line Capacity (lbs / yds) 14/150 : 16/130

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:56 am

Thanks Carlos, where would I find a BBS spool ????????????
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:03 am

I have a Type R for casting 1oz paddletails and I love how smooth it is. Feels a lot stronger casting these lures then an E7 I used last year. Don't know how much 65lb it holds but the 50 lb I'm using is well above half spool on my longest cast. More then enough line capacity for Bass and appears to hold enough for most inshore fishing applications.

It's been mentioned often that for the price one should just buy a Steez but since I use this to throw on an 8 ft rod, it balances better then a Steez. Really comes down to application. I would also consider the extra weight when pitching or flipping with longer and heavier tipped rods.

I've thrown 2 oz lures without issue. Highly recommended and super smooth cranking.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:29 am

RWSCHMITZ wrote:Thanks Carlos, where would I find a BBS spool ????????????

Maybe here :-k http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 670wt_1141

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:02 pm

GARRIGA wrote:I have a Type R for casting 1oz paddletails and I love how smooth it is. Feels a lot stronger casting these lures then an E7 I used last year. Don't know how much 65lb it holds but the 50 lb I'm using is well above half spool on my longest cast. More then enough line capacity for Bass and appears to hold enough for most inshore fishing applications.

It's been mentioned often that for the price one should just buy a Steez but since I use this to throw on an 8 ft rod, it balances better then a Steez. Really comes down to application. I would also consider the extra weight when pitching or flipping with longer and heavier tipped rods.

I've thrown 2 oz lures without issue. Highly recommended and super smooth cranking.
I am also planning to get at least two of these and have considered the Steez. The insights have been great. True that the Type-R is getting close to the Steez territory, but what threw me over to the Type-R is the Drag of the Type-R. As refined as the Steez is, if the Drag cannot perform and pull lunkers out of thick cover, I just can't justify that. To me, there are more situations where Drag Power is of utmost importance - especially if you Tournament Fish, you just don't have time to play and fight the fish. There is a place for both reels. In more open water situations and finesse, the Steez may be the better reel and probably win hands down but in thick vegetation, heavy cover, and fighting those lunkers, the 15lbs Drag of the Type-R wins hands down. I also my other Zillions and Alphas for finesse so a Steez is not needed. Unless someone knows of a way to upgrade the Steez Drag System to match that of the Type-R perhaps I will change my mind. There are also other cheaper alternatives out there such as the Revo line of reels but I prefer the refined feel and power of Shimano and or Daiwa Reels. Drag System....it is the achilles heels of Daiwa - and its true all or most of the Tournament Fishermens I know, do not use Daiwa during Tournaments. Perhaps the Type-R is a step in the right direction for Diawa.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Buck2thPerch the wrote:Unless someone knows of a way to upgrade the Steez Drag System to match that of the Type-R perhaps I will change my mind.
Wouldn't Carbontex type drags provide the required stopping power? Also, I can use my Type R in the salt which is another plus for me.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:11 am

GARRIGA wrote:
Buck2thPerch the wrote:Unless someone knows of a way to upgrade the Steez Drag System to match that of the Type-R perhaps I will change my mind.
Wouldn't Carbontex type drags provide the required stopping power? Also, I can use my Type R in the salt which is another plus for me.
Carbontex Drag upgrade for the Steez and any other reels out there is usually for smoother drag performance and longevity of the drag system. Carbontex Drags will increase your drag stopping power by maybe 1lbs to 3lbs though I have heard and read on other forums and places of 5lbs increase in stopping power with Carbontex drag on some reels.

With the Steez at 5lbs max drag stopping power + carbontex drag upgrade and you are looking at perhaps 6lbs - 8lbs max. If I were to purchase the Steez reel, it will be for finesse open water drop shot jig head type of presentation. I would not throw it in heavy cover. Sure it'd be fun to fight an 8lb lunker on 5lbs max drag. But I do some weekend Tourney's and time wasted on fighting the fish is precious time lost which results in no tournament winnings. Steez is a great reel, but not a Tournament grade reel. Thus for tournaments its either Shimano or Abu's Revo Line of reels. Again, this will be my first time trying the Zillion Type-R in Tournament conditions and I hope the 15lbs drag and overall refinement proves its $400 price tag's worth. Just my opinion.
**What is fishing?**

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:40 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
Carbontex Drag upgrade for the Steez and any other reels out there is usually for smoother drag performance and longevity of the drag system. Carbontex Drags will increase your drag stopping power by maybe 1lbs to 3lbs though I have heard and read on other forums and places of 5lbs increase in stopping power with Carbontex drag on some reels.

With the Steez at 5lbs max drag stopping power + carbontex drag upgrade and you are looking at perhaps 6lbs - 8lbs max. If I were to purchase the Steez reel, it will be for finesse open water drop shot jig head type of presentation. I would not throw it in heavy cover. Sure it'd be fun to fight an 8lb lunker on 5lbs max drag. But I do some weekend Tourney's and time wasted on fighting the fish is precious time lost which results in no tournament winnings. Steez is a great reel, but not a Tournament grade reel. Thus for tournaments its either Shimano or Abu's Revo Line of reels. Again, this will be my first time trying the Zillion Type-R in Tournament conditions and I hope the 15lbs drag and overall refinement proves its $400 price tag's worth. Just my opinion.
I don't fish tournaments and just like to catch fish. I think you are going to love the R. As for price, that's only an issue at the time of purchase, afterwards you'll be glad to got it. I've fished Core 101, Curado E, Revo Premier 2010, Revo Winch and by far I like the R the best and by a large margin. The only thing better, IMHO, is the Z but that's a whole different animal.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:43 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
With the Steez at 5lbs max drag stopping power + carbontex drag upgrade and you are looking at perhaps 6lbs - 8lbs max. Just my opinion.
You might want to have that Steez checked out. Although my test are not very scientific, I've routinely pulled around 8lbs on the stock drag washers, and 9-10lbs on carbontex. the 5lbs youre getting probably is a sign that there is something wrong with your reel.

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:20 pm

I got my zillion type R in today from TW. The reel feels very smooth and freespins forever. It really doesnt feel that much heavier than the E7s or D7s mounted on the rod. I cant wait to get it to the lake to try it out.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:14 pm

BassFreak wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
With the Steez at 5lbs max drag stopping power + carbontex drag upgrade and you are looking at perhaps 6lbs - 8lbs max. Just my opinion.
You might want to have that Steez checked out. Although my test are not very scientific, I've routinely pulled around 8lbs on the stock drag washers, and 9-10lbs on carbontex. the 5lbs youre getting probably is a sign that there is something wrong with your reel.
I stand corrected. I was looking at the Pixy Drag (5lbs) specs and Steez Drag(8.8lbs) specs. Steez Reel upgraded to Carbontex Drag will bump anywhere from 10lbs - 12lbs - that is respectable but still not a reel for fishing medium to thick cover. Again when you tournament fish, time is something you cannot waste.

I grabbed two Type-R's and awaiting thier arrival this week. I guess I could have got two Steez but oh well. Perhaps next year. I will probably get rid of my Cumara's Rods for Steez rods (goes aginst everything I say) or maybe just add more to my arsenal by getting some Light&Tough Rods :big grin: If I get two or three Steez Casting reels...I will put my Alphas Ito 103, Fuegos, and Curados up for sale - Not this year though. Decisions....decisions.
**What is fishing?**

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:49 pm

The Type R is an awesome reel. You guys are not going to regret your purchase. I got mine the day it came out :big grin:

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:42 pm

spicytuna wrote:The Type R is an awesome reel. You guys are not going to regret your purchase. I got mine the day it came out :big grin:
I hope so. I just spent a mortgage payment aquiring these two reels. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
**What is fishing?**

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:30 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
spicytuna wrote:The Type R is an awesome reel. You guys are not going to regret your purchase. I got mine the day it came out :big grin:
I hope so. I just spent a mortgage payment aquiring these two reels. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
:lol: =D>
stress-what happens between fishing trips