Interested in a TD type R

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Interested in a TD type R

Post by georgeweeber » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:48 am

I am interested in trying out a team daiwa. I have several E7s and D7s and I am happy with both. I was just wanting to try something different and was leaning toward a zillion type R. I was wondering how the type R would compare performance wise.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Interested in a TD type R

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:38 pm

The E7 isn't a match with a standard Zillion...much less the Type R.

nuocmam1222
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nuocmam1222 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 pm

depends on what you planning to use the type r for.. if you plan to cast lighter lures, the d7 is a better bet.. for most lures, the e7 would be your most practical bet.. but if you want spend the money, the zillion type r will not disappoint you either.. add a HLC spool and you have a damn bulletproof reel!

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:09 am

how would it compare in throwing say a 1/2 oz rattle trap or square bill

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:02 am

georgeweeber wrote:how would it compare in throwing say a 1/2 oz rattle trap or square bill
Those are pretty easy baits to cast, so I'm not sure you'll notice a profound difference in casting distance between an E7/D7 or the Z Type R. I think the Zillions in general feel a lot more solid and refined than the E7 (I never owned a D7). To be fair, there is a large $$ differential between the two. :lol:

I use Zillions for cranking, and they are perfect in that role.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:19 am

I wasnt happy with my e7 at all, got a zillion coastal instead and its much much better (solid, not plasticy, smoother, IMO looks better)...cant speak about the type R, but given the price id say its most likely better then the coastal....I just ordered a D5 (for crankin and slow rollin) I will let you know how it compares to the coastal...
stress-what happens between fishing trips

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:19 am

georgeweeber wrote:how would it compare in throwing say a 1/2 oz rattle trap or square bill
For that type of application I'd say save your money and throw it on an E7 or D7. As Tokugawa said, there's not much gained going with high end reels for heavy baits. I have an E5, E7, D5 & 2 Zillions and each has its place. Generally speaking, I use my Zillions for bottom contact baits and the Shimanos for reaction baits.

That all being said, I can bet that Type R is one bad monkey and I wouldn't hesitate to snatch one up. My Zillions are 50th editions and I just cant justify selling them for the Type R... too much coin for any reel in my book!

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 am

So are you saying the shimanos are going to throw reaction baits better?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:38 am

he probably doesnt mean it like that...most likely uses the zillions for bottom contact because they have a faster gear ratio available (7.3:1) and the Shimanos mentioned only come up to 7.0:1 I believe...not that there is much of a difference between 7.3 and 7.0...it just makes more sense to use the faster gear ratios as bottom contact reels and slower gear ratios for reaction baits unless you want to burn them in extremely fast....
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:06 pm

The Zillion Type R is the way to go if you want a very refined reel able to handle many techniques. However you sacrifice some weight gain when you compare other reels in this price range give or take $100. Read this:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazilliontyper.html

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:46 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:he probably doesnt mean it like that...most likely uses the zillions for bottom contact because they have a faster gear ratio available (7.3:1) and the Shimanos mentioned only come up to 7.0:1 I believe...not that there is much of a difference between 7.3 and 7.0...it just makes more sense to use the faster gear ratios as bottom contact reels and slower gear ratios for reaction baits unless you want to burn them in extremely fast....
If you look from the point of view of inches per turn (IPT) the difference is about 10% more line picked up by the Zillion.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:49 am

georgeweeber wrote:So are you saying the shimanos are going to throw reaction baits better?
Zillions have better start up and you can achieve the same distance with less effort.
The HLC spool can really make Hyper Long Cast. Just try it.

LilMofo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LilMofo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:51 am

Over priced! I rather spend more and get a steez. Nothing special you cant do wiht a 200 dollar reel.
and thats FoShoLilMoFo!

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks for all the input. I went and ordered the type R yesterday. I really didnt need to spend the money but after hearing all the praise for daiwa reels I had to try one out for myself. I will report back on how it turns out.

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:59 am

???? on the Zillion R how much braid in 65lb will it hold ??????????? I know it is rated at 100 yds of 16lb, but Daiwa is on the high side, I have found. Also does anyone sell a deep spool for the Zillion ????????? I want to run 65lb braid and have over 80yds.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz