Paint chipping on frame

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Paint chipping on frame

Post by FishEastCarolina » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:37 am

I have two pretty old BPS pro qualifiers that I fish heavily and the paint on my frames is chipping after 7 or 8 years, you just can't get stuff to last these days :big grin: , should I just hit the spots with a touch up stick or some clear nail polish or bust out the dremmel tool and finish the job before it gets worse?
new day the same way

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Paint chipping on frame

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:08 am

buy new reels you cheap bastard :big grin:

Like I told you last night, take them (or call first) to a car body repair shop and get them to mess with them.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:56 am

DIY. Given the age, it's perfect way to mess around with them. It's an opportunity to custom paint them.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:42 pm

take them out back and put them out of their misery like old yeller. Just dont :cry:
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:57 am

wow you got them to last that long before chips and scratches. I am working on some reels that are less than 2 years old with that. I have some 4 or 5 year old advantages that have started to chip. All my bps reels especially my extremes, the frames chip terribly.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 am

custom paint those things. most people custom 300-500$ reels but for your first one using a beat up well used one makes sense. i just did that with a 5 yr old energy pt, my father manages a body shop so he had his painter make it look better than new. i took it apart did the prep work, sand, tape and i told his painter to use whatever color he was painting cars that day and he did a really nice job. the highest quality of paint and multi layered clear to help it last. it worked out nice im mounting it on a kvd pt cranking rod and he painted it silver and red. matches perfectly. moral of story, take it apart, look around for a body shop to paint it or if youve got $$$$$ send it to cal, however being youre still using this reel and its that old you probably don't have that kind of cash, welcome to the club :idea: :idea: :idea: