D7 vs. Premier vs. Patriach

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: D7 vs. Premier vs. Patriach

Post by husonfirst » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:28 am

Those are all good reels but make sure you handle each to see how they feel. I tried the Chronarch and felt it had a strange profile which didn't quite fit my hands.

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:18 am

I have a mix of D7's, Curados, Abu, Quantum, etc, but for me the D7 just works in about any situation and I can cast and pitch with it the best. For bass fishing I don't think the line capacity comes into play.

Calico Killer Kevin
Angler
Angler

Post by Calico Killer Kevin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:11 am

Okay, received the D7 yesterday. First thing I noticed was that Pearl color looks so much sexier in person and under the sunlight. Second, was that the retrieve was super smooth and fluid. Also, the HEG gearing provides a very powerful feel as though nothing can stop this reel's fluidity even at the high 7:1 gear ratio. As a plus, the reelcame with 15lb AbrasX, SWEET! Although I switched out the line for 40lb Daiwa Samurai, I now have 15lb AbrasX on the spool, and it is some nice stuff.

The previous owner must have been using it to cast something heavy because there were three blocks in the on position. Initial pitching tests were with a 1/4oz football head. I found the pitching to be alright, but not so great, probably because it was a 1/4oz without a trailer. Distance and ease of pitch were nothing to complain about, though this is in comparison to my SuperTuned Sol that is without a doubt, a pitching BEAST. Switched it up to a 3/8oz jig and a 3" swimbait trailer, this reel has this bait soaring. This is my primary technique, so it was very promising.

First thing I did to this reel upon reception was admire it, then replace the drags with Carbontex. I find that Dartanium leaves behind a nice trail of fibrous splatter and debris. This reel was no different with a slight "sticky" residue deposited on the main gear. Nothing a little bit of polishing couldn't fix. One thing to note though, is that this reel is quite a bit more difficult to open up than the typical low-pro. Not including the handle assembly, there are three screws that must be taken apart: one behind the spool, one near the foot, and one near the levelwind. A bit of a pain in the butt since I open my reels up nearly every trip.

In conclusion, this reel has an incredibly smooth and fluid retrieve, power is the robust gearing, amazing overhead and sidearm casting distance and accuracy, but not exceptional in the pitching department. The D7 will be the reel I use for long casting docks with a straight or bump and grind technique, as well as for heavier pitching in thick kelp and pulling out beasts. I will leave lighter critter pitching techniques to the Sol.

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:09 am

i fish both the D7 and Premier. Please don't make me choose!
Fish on!