backlashes

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

backlashes

Post by ah_long » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:00 pm

I understand that backlash normally refers to line overrun, it typically occurs when the lure drops in the water or the line sudden slows down but the spool kept on running.

I'm having a different type of issue today.
Conditions: no wind
Lure: half oz lipless
Reel: Core 101mg

I was doing a few power casts and on one of them, it seems as though the spool was seized mid cast and it literally stopped. It appears as if something was stopping the line from going out.. any insights?

it only happened a few times out of the 50 casts, and it happens when I use maximum strength.

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: backlashes

Post by spicytuna » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:47 pm

Perhaps you have some line digging into your spool? This happens sometimes when you get snagged and have to lock down your drag and pull hard to break off or retrieve your lure. Then when you cast and your line reaches that point in the spool where it has dug in, it will keep more line from going out. Try casting as hard as you can, and when you get to that point, keep the reel in freespool and start pulling line out with your hand to free the part that has dug in.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:09 pm

thanks... made sense... I did snag some stuff before it started happening...

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 am

if your using braid it would be my first suspect

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:09 am

Backlash can occur early to midway of your cast if your finesse setting doesn't match the power casting that you're doing.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:16 am

Line dig in is a very big problem if you are using braid! When it stops, pull the snagged line out...that normally works for me!
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 am

fishingandfords wrote:if your using braid it would be my first suspect

X2.

Sounds like typical problem of PE line.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Besides braid digging after tugging on a snag, the biggest failure with braid is not having packed it on tight enough. The prefer method is to have it packed tight with a quality winding machine slowly so as not to heat and damage the braid. If a machine is not available then consider placing a heavy lead of up to a pound and letting all the line out and reeling it back in under pressure. I've also let line out with no attachments on a running boat and packed it on tight like that. This is also a good method to remove line twist with spinning reels. I rarely get backlashes on braid once I get it dialed in right and keep the braid packed tight.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 pm

yup, it was braid, 40lb samurai

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:31 am

When U use braid on a baitcaster the line/braid must be tight on the spool, also do not over fill the spool 1/16 of an inch from the top of the spool. I respool the line on a baitcaster at the end of the day, when I'm running back to the dock at speed in the boat I will let all the line out and rewind the line tight on the spool.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz