Fastest baitcaiting reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Fastest baitcaiting reel

Post by bnl » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:10 am

Reading the thread on the Revo LTX and the 7.9 gear ratio has me very curious as to what is the fastest low profile baitcasting reel in term of line recovery in inches per turn???

So what is the fastest reel? Custom, upgraded, standard... I don't care what it is, I just really want to know the fastest.

Fastest I could find is the Quantum Reax PT 7.3 is listed in the TT preview as 34 inches per turn... Is that the fastest?

Can't wait to hear as to what is the fastest reel out there.

BNL

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fastest baitcaiting reel

Post by OhioChamp183 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:27 am

had all of mine going about 70mph just the other day................in the back of my Suburban :lol:

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:47 am

The fastest low profile baitcaster maybe the Daiwa Z 2020 SH. Pulls 85cm per handle turn.
I mean when is not on the back of your F1.... :big grin:

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:45 pm

So what is the fastest reel? Custom, upgraded, standard... I don't care what it is, I just really want to know the fastest.
I realize these are not low profile reels, but these are the fastest gear ratio reels I'm aware of:

The reel on the right is a Carlton 9 multiplier - YES, I SAID NINE to ONE. It was made in 1903. It was made in three widths to hold 60, 80, or 100 yards of line. The reel on the left was made by the Rochester Reel Co., after they purchased the Carlton Mfg. Co. in 1908.

However, there were also at least two other 9:1 multiplying casting reels made in the middle 1800s.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
I realize these are not low profile reels, but these are the fastest gear ratio reels I'm aware of:

The reel on the right is a Carlton 9 multiplier - YES, I SAID NINE to ONE. It was made in 1903. It was made in three widths to hold 60, 80, or 100 yards of line. The reel on the left was made by the Rochester Reel Co., after they purchased the Carlton Mfg. Co. in 1908.

However, there were also at least two other 9:1 multiplying casting reels made in the middle 1800s.
Nice can I get one for my frog rod!!!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Hahaha....thanks ROG for putting it all in perspective! Luv it man... :lol:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:23 am

OhioChamp183 wrote:had all of mine going about 70mph just the other day................in the back of my Suburban :lol:

:lol:

That reel must of burned off some hefty gas!!
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

evergreener
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evergreener » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:58 pm

I guess the winner goes to the quantum... :roll:

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:49 am

You can find spinning reels that pull in more line than the fastest baitcasters all day long. They have lower gear ratios but much larger diameter spools. You never hear hype about a burner spinning reel but most of the popular models and sizes would qualify based on inches per turn.

I personally think it is more of a marketing placement and a trend, "my reel has the highest ratio" and all that. Sure it is nice to rip in a lure once it is out of the target zone but at what sacrifice to workability and presentation?

If you want your lure to go that fast, go trolling...! :big grin:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:15 pm

No doubt about that...spinners in general will have a better IPT due to the spool size...all these high gear ratio bass LP reels aside, big striper/muskie/salmon round reels also have a higher IPT.

Let's not even get into SW gear.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."