Bass Pro Shop Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bass Pro Shop Reels

Post by overdose » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:17 am

21farms wrote:i think the reason they're able to be so price-competitive with their reels is that they leave all the heavy lifting of engineering, designing and innovating to the brand-name reel companies and then hire contract-manufacturers to copy the most popular features and then mass produce them, in some cases, even using the same tooling.
21farms, i'm sure purefishing/abu/pflueger have patents out for their reels... the only way basspro is marketing and using reels with the same parts/braking systems should only come by means of business contracts that basspro has with purefishing/abu/pflueger.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:20 pm

breezy wrote:
soua0363 wrote:I think a lot of people are turned off by them because of the name on the reel. If you can look pass the name on the reel, they offer great performance and value.
I think this is one of the more important reason you don't see a huge following for them on enthusiast sites. Although it may perform (practically) identical to a high end reel, BPS reels just do not have the same mystique, allure, desirability....whatever you want to call it. Therefore they aren't considered in a lot of discussions. I find myself doing it all the time..just the nature of the TT beast :lol:
I disagree, I think it has a lot more to do with the junk stuff they've made in the past.
Kinda the same reason you wouldn't take a high priced Silstar reel seriously.
I have the same problem with Okuma.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:54 pm

overdose wrote:
21farms wrote:i think the reason they're able to be so price-competitive with their reels is that they leave all the heavy lifting of engineering, designing and innovating to the brand-name reel companies and then hire contract-manufacturers to copy the most popular features and then mass produce them, in some cases, even using the same tooling.
21farms, i'm sure purefishing/abu/pflueger have patents out for their reels... the only way basspro is marketing and using reels with the same parts/braking systems should only come by means of business contracts that basspro has with purefishing/abu/pflueger.
I know that BPS reels are manufactured in the same Korean factory as other Pure Fishing reels (Revo, Pflueger, etc) but I'm not sure about the engineering/design. I've heard that BPS does the engineering work, builds a few testing/prototype models and then lets the Korean factory handle the production.

Sonicx360
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sonicx360 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 am

I got the BPS Johnny Morris Elite that is now rare and it performed nearly flawless but my only flaw on the reels is that the weight is kinda heavy compared to other reels of it's class.