Quantum Smoke problems?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Quantum Smoke problems?

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:42 am

I picked up a Smoke at BPS today and I checked all 3 that they had in stock. During the freespool, and only when the brakes are on, you can hear the brakes touching the brake ring (It doesn't make sounds while on the free setting). So I took it home and put some grease on the brake ring and same thing. Anyone else notice this with their smokes? Hopefully all the ones they had at BPS weren't from the same batch of bad ones or something. I'm asking because this (the sound) has never happened before with any of my other reels with centrifugal brakes and I'm wondering if the smokes are like that.

Also pretty disappointed that the reel was missing one brake shoe... But oh well, it was only the one in the middle which I probably will never use unless there's strong winds.

Valky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Quantum Smoke problems?

Post by Valky » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:10 pm

It's normal sound of the system not the problem, all ACS have that sound. If you being annoyed with this sound, you will die by DC system sound on Shimano.

Regarding the missing brake shoe, exchange it at BPS, they will change the new one for you. In fact if you follow my ACSII customized setting in the following link, you can set the braking more variable than factory pre-setting. Let's go beyond the 3 brake shoes on the first setting, see how much you could go 2 or 1 :big grin:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?t=29495

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Quantum Smoke problems?

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks for the info and link. I've already done this with one Smoke before and I'll adjust mines after I fish with it.