Your favorite reel and/or brake system for skipping?!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Your favorite reel and/or brake system for skipping?!

Post by l2yan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Well shout it out! Please, no egg beaters!!! :evil:

REVO PREMIER!... I love the linear mag :big grin:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

evergreener
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Your favorite reel and/or brake system for skipping?!

Post by evergreener » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Revo Aurora! love the linear mag system too! (but shouldn't premier have a dual braking system?)
still in the process of mastering skipping though..... :big grin:
any tips?

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:35 pm

my daiwa zillion HLC with a 'fixed' inductor!!! i can make nice long casts, or skip a 3/16 swimjig & trailer a mile with it without fear of nasty birds nest......love that reel!!!

bluegill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bluegill » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:31 am

Why do most of you object to spinning reels ( I assume that is your egg beater reference ) for skipping?
I have found it quite effective to skip with a spinning reel, 10# mono or heavier braid if necessary, & a number of lures especially t-rigged weightless plastic frogs & senkos. I think my finger is the best brake for this technique.
Sorry if I offend anyone, I am honestly curious.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:53 am

bluegill wrote:Why do most of you object to spinning reels ( I assume that is your egg beater reference ) for skipping?
I have found it quite effective to skip with a spinning reel, 10# mono or heavier braid if necessary, & a number of lures especially t-rigged weightless plastic frogs & senkos. I think my finger is the best brake for this technique.
Sorry if I offend anyone, I am honestly curious.
Bluegill, no offense taken :big grin: There are multiple reasons for skipping with casting gear, at least for me. First off is the 'grin factor', which is the reason I fish to begin with. I find it comparable to racing the countryside with a stick rather than an auto-tranny. Just a ton more fun. Also, don't have to worry about darn line twist, especially when certain baits roll across the surface of the water :whistle: Another reason is accuracy. You, my friend, have a very trained index finger. Mine is alright, but is definitely not on the same level as my thumb... especially in cold air temps where I can barely feel my fingers. Another very big reason is so I don't have to switch rods back and forth to skip and pitch. Extremely convenient for me. Yet another reason is the comfort. I love just being able to engulf a feather-light casting outfit in the palm of my hand rather than have the awkward spinning reel dangling from between my fingers that I constantly have to adjust. Oh yeah, and the biggest reason... did I mention the 'grin factor'? :big grin: I love watching someone skip a casting reel, it's just beautiful!

Don't get me wrong, I use a spinning reel a lot still, but primarily just for UL baits. I love skipping 3" senkos and crappie beavers too ;)
e_bassfisher wrote:my daiwa zillion HLC with a 'fixed' inductor!!! i can make nice long casts, or skip a 3/16 swimjig & trailer a mile with it without fear of nasty birds nest......love that reel!!!
Man, everytime I picture the HLC skipping a bait, the word 'sexy' comes to mind. And I haven't thought about skipping swim jigs. I'm gonna try it... as soon as my "special reel" comes in \:D/ What kind of trailers are you skipping with it? I've been skipping with 4-5" grubs a lot lately, but just hate the way their curly tails roll and grab the surface of the water... :-k
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:00 am

bluegill wrote:Why do most of you object to spinning reels ( I assume that is your egg beater reference ) for skipping?
short answer: because i hate egg beater spinning reels

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:02 am

l2yan wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote:my daiwa zillion HLC with a 'fixed' inductor!!! i can make nice long casts, or skip a 3/16 swimjig & trailer a mile with it without fear of nasty birds nest......love that reel!!!
Man, everytime I picture the HLC skipping a bait, the word 'sexy' comes to mind. And I haven't thought about skipping swim jigs. I'm gonna try it... as soon as my "special reel" comes in \:D/ What kind of trailers are you skipping with it? I've been skipping with 4-5" grubs a lot lately, but just hate the way their curly tails roll and grab the surface of the water... :-k
i use 4"-5" grubs, as well as zoom swimmin' super-fluke jr's. the swim flukes give the bait a nice side-to-side wobble that i have a had a lot of luck with :big grin:

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:11 am

e_bassfisher wrote:

Sounds like it's gotten personal. :lol:
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:27 am

Smalleyez wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote:

Sounds like it's gotten personal. :lol:
:lol: i just ain't no good with spinning gear. i feel limited by it, i just cannot use it as well.....i also think it is bulky and cumbersome. for now, my presso and alphas-pixy hybrid are my spinning reels!

i did think the 'egg beater' bit was hilarious; must be an forum tool to edit curse words.....

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:45 pm

My red Pixy for me..
I can skip scrounger heads, senkos, and flukes with that reel with no problems! :D
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:32 pm

e_bassfisher wrote: i use 4"-5" grubs, as well as zoom swimmin' super-fluke jr's. the swim flukes give the bait a nice side-to-side wobble that i have a had a lot of luck with :big grin:
Wow e_, I really like skipping the swim jigs! I don't know why I've never thought of it before, but they skip nice and smooth with the curly tail trailer as opposed to a naked grub :D I was skipping 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz swim jigs in the dark :shock: Never thought I'd try skipping at night, but it's much easier with a nice bright pearl swim jig as opposed to a GP tube or senko.

BTW, I was using the new pixy with 8# line. IMO, it didn't skip as smoothly/easily as the revo premier with the same exact line. I'm thinking I might end up fixing the rotor down the road after all. But I'll give it some time... maybe 1/2 a season to see how I adapt to the magZ and like it...
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:35 pm

the fixed inductor makes all the difference!

i love skipping swim jig under overhanging limbs and brush.....i have caught a bunch of fish that way!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:12 am

Egg beater machine with finger brakes. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:14 am

slipperybob wrote:Egg beater machine with finger brakes. :big grin:
:lol:

well, mine have thumb brakes instead :lol:

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:10 am

Jdm Steez 103h, I love skipping 3/8oz jigs under docks.