Your favorite reel and/or brake system for skipping?!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Your favorite reel and/or brake system for skipping?!

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:07 pm

What does the fixed inductor help with? skipping lighter lures or preventing overuns??

My reel of choice right now is the Steez 100. Set the cast control normal and crank the mags up to 8-10. You can throw it as hard as you want then. I like the 100 for the magZ and line capacity to make long skips with 17-20# test mono and a 1/4 oz jig.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:22 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:What does the fixed inductor help with? skipping lighter lures or preventing overuns??
yes, and yes......for that particular reel(zillion HLC) anyway.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:43 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:What does the fixed inductor help with? skipping lighter lures or preventing overuns??
IMO, a fixed inductor/ linear mag braking helps with spool control in general, especially with lighter lures. I prefer lighter line in general. I've been skipping a little with 8# mono lately, but mostly 15# power pro on an abu premier (old school one with just the mag brake).

I just started skipping with my px68 a couple days ago with 8# mono. I was skipping the crap out of it... even as the sun completely went down :shock: but IMO, it wasn't skipping as easily or as smoothly as the premier with linear mag braking (I usually keep the braking set pretty low and the spool tension backed all the way off with the slightest side to side movement of spool... in other words, I don't change any setting between casting/pitching/skipping ;) )Yesterday I decided to really test this gem of a reel out and spool with 10# braid to the very top of the rim for skipping. It works, but I was experiencing overruns often. This very light braid really kept me nervous and uncomfortably on my toes. So I just couldn't wait anymore, and I didn't want to risk throwing away a brand new spool of braid, so I tuned the spool to fixed rotor. All I can say is WOW! Easier than the 8# izorline mono now!

FYI, the reason I'm skipping with such light line is b/c I'm just getting into doing river/stream floats for bass. The shorelines are covered with overhanging limbs and brush which create a great skipping "game" :big grin: . If I normally targeted LMB behind docks and such, especially in a tourny or something, I would definitely opt for a much heavier line.
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

panichunter
Angler
Angler

Post by panichunter » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:08 am

I've skipped with a Chronarch 51mg, Alphas ito and a high speed Zillion and they go in that order. Chronarch is the easiest and the Zillion is by far the worst. I'm skipping jigs under docks on 12-20 lbs mono. Lost a Chronarch of the back of the boat last fall so Im looking for another if someones got one.