Aldebaran topwater???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Aldebaran topwater???

Post by bnl » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:32 am

I need a reel to match up with a Dobyns 705CB.

The rod is mostly going be used for topwater fishing (spools and 1/2 oz poppers). It will also be used at times for sammys, jerks, lipless cranks.

I wa thinking if matching it with the Shimano Aldebaran. What do you guys think of this set up? Would this be a good choice to match with rod for these techniques? I actually bought an Aldebaran for a different Rod and love the way it feels and looks. Haven't used it yet, but I am definitely thinking of buying another.

If not an Aldebaran, what other reels would you all recommend for this set up and these technique?

Thanks for the help!
BNL

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Aldebaran topwater???

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:23 pm

I don't have an Aldebaran or Core, but the one thing that would worry me is the line capacity when slinging baits like the Spook, Sammy, jerkbait, lipless crank. If line capacity is not an issue I think it would make for a sweet topwater reel. Hopefully owners will relay their experiences.

As far as alternative reels, specifically ones that are lightweight, I would look at the TDZ 103H, Steez 100HA, Metanium MG7, Core 100MG.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:52 pm

The BOB Mg7's 7:1 gear ratio would make a better Topwater/Jerk/Lipless reel then the BOB Mg's 5.8:1.
Line capacity shouldn't be a problem
MegabassUSA.com

bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bnl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:19 am

What do you mean by BOB Mg7? What is BOB?

Thank you for the posts and input. I would be putting braid on this reel, so line capacity isn't much of a concern.

Thanks again.

BNL

bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bnl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:42 am

How about a Metanium Mg7????

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:45 am

BOB is the TT Nickname for the Aldebaran thanks to mhood.
Unlike the Core 51Mg the Aldebaran, which is just the Japanese vs. of the Core 51Mg, comes in 2 gear ratios, Mg=5.8:1, Mg7=7:1.
MegabassUSA.com

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:55 am

bnl wrote:How about a Metanium Mg7????
I like. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bnl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:37 am

Thanks for explaining the BOB thing. :-)

I'm definitely leaning towards the Metanium now.... The person I was buying the Aldebaran is out of them and I've been offered a Metanium at a good price. So..... How about it? Good choice???