Daiwa Aggrest?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa Aggrest?

Post by dustlane » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:24 pm

What is the general concensus on this reel? I am considering buying one but I have to order it online so I haven't been able to actually handle one. They look alot like an Exceler but since they cost nearly three times as much I assume they are much better. Thanks!

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Aggrest?

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 pm

Haven't you read the TT Review on this reel? I pretty much agree with the review. I have used reels with the Exceler frame in the past and they just are not as good. Don't know if it was the quality or how it is designed but to me the Exceler fram is just diseased. The TD-A HSTA is heavier but more of a rigid reel and more refined in my opinion. At $180, I'd rather get the Curado 200E or Revo SX. In my case, I got the Curado 200E7 instead.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:13 pm

I looked in the review archive but I didn't see a review on the Aggrest. I read those on the Advantage series. I have used the Advantage reels in the past. I have been using Shimano Citicas and Curados for the past couple of years and I am looking for something different. I just can't see (visually) very many differences between the Aggrest and the Exceler. I was looking for some real world info from someone that has used the Aggrest. Does it even compare with the Curado or Revo SX?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 pm

TT Daiwa Aggrest Review: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaaggrest.html

As far as comparison, I have not used the Aggrest but have used the Exceller, I think its more of personal taste - Aggrest vs Curado vs Revo SX. There are Pros and Cons between these reels per TT"s review and from me using the Exceller. Me personally, since I do have a handful of Curao 200E's, I would probably get a Revo STX/SX (2010 Model). I have had the older Revo STX but not the 2010 versions. If I didn't have any Curado 200E's, I would pick the Curado's in a heartbeat. The Revo's are just too heavy and the handles are just too short for such a powerful Drag reel IMO. It doesn't make sense to buy the Revo SX then buy aftermarket handles or similar handles for $30-$150+.

However, by all means if you are interested in the Aggrest, a cheaper version would be the Cabela's new 2011 Prodigy Baitcasting reel - either way you look at this reel, its either a beefed up Exceller or a lower grade Aggrest. I have not used Cabelas new Prodigy reel but played with it. I don't know what the diference is besides the Prodigy reel is a 6:3:1 Gear vs the Aggrest 7:3:1, but at $100 for the Prodigy reel, might be a better buy. I mentioned this to you just as and FYI. Again the Aggrest being at $180....is way too expensive for something that doesn't even compare to the Revo SX or Curado IMO.

Hope this helps.
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 am

By the way, Cabelas has a 50th Aniversary Green Zillion made specifically for commemorating Cabelas 50 years. I don't know the price, I should have taken note since I played with the reel, but it is almost identical to Daiwa's red 50th Zillion. I think Cabela's green 50th zillion might be around $200 vs Daiwa's red 50th Zillion at $300. But don't quote me on the price becaue I can't remember for sure. Cabelas Green 50th Zillion is pretty sweet too.

Funny, I just did a google/bing search to link pictures of Cabela's Green 50th Zillion and cannot find one or any info on this Green Hulk color loking Zillion. It is no joke. I actually held it in my hands at a local Cabelas and it is on dispaly for sale. Awkward, you'd think Cabelas Website would have this reel listed.
**What is fishing?**

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:49 am

http://www.cabelas.com/50th-anniversary ... wa-1.shtml
6.3:1
11 bearings

Looks like the knobs are bearing supported.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:07 am

PainInTheBass wrote:http://www.cabelas.com/50th-anniversary ... wa-1.shtml
6.3:1
11 bearings

Looks like the knobs are bearing supported.
I was looking under the 50th Anniversary area of Cabela's website too!! I couldn't find it - perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough. :doh: And it is not $200 like I thought. I knew the first digit was a 2.... :lol:

Yes the knobs have bearings. I couldn't take one apart to verify if it is 2 bearing support knobs or 4. But with the 11 bearing count, my guess is the knobs have 2 bearings in each. It has a very similar feeling to that of the 50th Zillion which I own two..but now one. I will just go out on a limb and say its a suped up zillion....which is the same as the 50th Zillion. Perhaps these were all excess Red 50th Zillions from Daiwa, repainted green with Cabelas's logo. :big grin:

One thing about Cabelas.....thier reels go on sale all the time!!! don't be surprised to see this reel currently retailing at $280 to be on sale at $200 or lower. Just look at Cabela's older Prodigy, which is the TD-A HST Supertuned (retails $100) without the bearing knobs, it usually goes on sale for 40%-50% ($50-$60) off during the Holidays. I will be keeping an eye out for this green hulk of a Daiwa Zillion by Cabelas. :big grin: :big grin:

Or with brighter yellow accents....and paint a "G" on there somewhere....Wisconsin Fans can have thier very own "Greenbay Packers" Daiwa zillion!!!! Damn cheese heads.... :mrgreen:
**What is fishing?**

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:41 am

Hey don't hate on us because of the Pack! World Champs two years in a row! Go lock out!

I was just at the Cabelas in PDC (the midwest distribution center) and saw the 50th aniversary spinning reel, but not the zillion. :( Plus they didn't have the old prodigy, just the new souped up exceller.

They Aggrest looks nice, feels nice, and the price isnt too bad. But from what I hear it just does not perform on the water.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm

IMO there's just too much competition at the Aggrest's $180ish price point for it to be taken seriously.

Curado 200e7
Quantum smoke
Lews tournament Pro
Pflueger Patriarch
Okuma Serrano

The handles on the Revos are too short for me.

the list goes on.... for some reason Daiwa is just not competitive at the given price point.

I have buddy that has one and it's a so so reel; not particularly distinctive.
Last edited by finfinder on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:41 pm

I just bought a Smoke. Sweet reel.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:02 pm

the Serrano is a very nice reel...and often overlooked...excellent deal now too $30 mail in rebate brings it to $139... absolutely cannot beat it for the price...
stress-what happens between fishing trips

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:14 pm

I spent a few hrs with the smoke on the water today and I am definitely spoiled. There is about to be a few curados and citicas for sale very soon. I was casting small cranks farther than ever and I never even got a loop in my line. Smokes and Energys will be filling up my boat. I had some of the energys when they first came out but I thought I liked the curados better. The curados and citicas have been great but quantum got it right this time.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:53 am

dustlane wrote:I spent a few hrs with the smoke on the water today and I am definitely spoiled. There is about to be a few curados and citicas for sale very soon. I was casting small cranks farther than ever and I never even got a loop in my line. Smokes and Energys will be filling up my boat. I had some of the energys when they first came out but I thought I liked the curados better. The curados and citicas have been great but quantum got it right this time.
Nice to hear it is working out good for you. I don't have a smoke nor do I plan on buying one but perhaps will have at least one in my aresenal sometime in the future. For now it is still basically Shimano and Daiwa for me.
**What is fishing?**