Reel with no line guide?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jbowman089
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Reel with no line guide?

Post by jbowman089 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 am

my buddy was trying to tell me about a reel with no line guide. He said it had some kind of bar that rocked back and forth. Any of you guys know what he is talking about?

LordRiper
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reel with no line guide?

Post by LordRiper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 am

-- Salim Giacoman --
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"

bassohol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassohol » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:48 am

Yep, that's it. The US Reels are the only ones I know of that fit that description.

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 am

In addition to the 1000 and 1000 Pro in the link above, they also sell a 600, 700X, and an 800SX that feature the angle bar level wind, but have a "standard" rotation spool like most other baitcasters. I'm currently testing an 800SX on one of my soft plastics rods, and so far it has been flawless. It has no trouble at all casting 1/4 oz lures (weightless Trick Worms) over an impressive distance. It also easily outcasts my Curado 200e7 using the same rod and lure.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:53 pm

Stasher1 wrote:

In addition to the 1000 and 1000 Pro in the link above, they also sell a 600, 700X, and an 800SX that feature the angle bar level wind, but have a "standard" rotation spool like most other baitcasters. I'm currently testing an 800SX on one of my soft plastics rods, and so far it has been flawless. It has no trouble at all casting 1/4 oz lures (weightless Trick Worms) over an impressive distance. It also easily outcasts my Curado 200e7 using the same rod and lure.
Them USReels are soooo bulky and have a clunky feeling at the same time rigid - aint that weird? These reels are also heavy. But interesting. My local Cabelas are clearing these out from last time I looked at them 50% off I think. I find the level wind interesting but not worth my money to test. Let us know how those reels stand the test of time - :laugh1:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 am

Them USReels are soooo bulky and have a clunky feeling at the same time rigid - aint that weird? These reels are also heavy. But interesting.
If you'd like to have such a reel that is light and nicely decorated, all you have to do is buy a Spiral Wind reel from the 1930s. They were the original patentee of such a system. Penn and Ocean City reel companies also tried out this system of leveling the line. Nothin's New!

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:29 am

Buck2thPerch wrote: Them USReels are soooo bulky and have a clunky feeling at the same time rigid - aint that weird? These reels are also heavy. But interesting. My local Cabelas are clearing these out from last time I looked at them 50% off I think. I find the level wind interesting but not worth my money to test. Let us know how those reels stand the test of time - :laugh1:
I've never handled the 1000-series, but I think the 700X and 800SX I have are comparable in size to a Curado 200D. A bit bulkier than the current crop of low profile casting reels, but still reasonably comfortable to palm as long as your hands aren't too small. The weights are also comparable to some other more popular reels, like the Zillion and BPS PQ, and lighter (by a wide margin) than the Curado/Citica 200D series.

They're definitely not a popular choice around here, but the 800SX is doing very well so far. :shrug:

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:50 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
Them USReels are soooo bulky and have a clunky feeling at the same time rigid - aint that weird? These reels are also heavy. But interesting.
If you'd like to have such a reel that is light and nicely decorated, all you have to do is buy a Spiral Wind reel from the 1930s. They were the original patentee of such a system. Penn and Ocean City reel companies also tried out this system of leveling the line. Nothin's New!
That there, is a fine reel gramps! Love those old Knuckle Breakers. IMO, the older reels are built with more quailty craftsmanship then alot of these current ones. Maybe not with all the hightech advancedments but can catch all types of fish!!! All steel/Aluminum and ivory knobs to boot too if you find them. I have actually fished some of the older Knuckle Breakers and boy and they exhilarating. Imagine, no drag and hooking into a 14lb Largemouth. That is how the old geezers did it!! I don't know how they did it day in and day out but Knuckle Breakers are someting to behold. Also, it was very hard to fish those old knuckle breakers at first but once you get used to them and dialed in on them, they are fun!!! :big grin:

I'd love to start a collection of older reels one of these days, but until I can kick my kids out...I won't have a fishing tackle mancave yet. Some of those older reels are worth a BMW! :evil22: Man I am getting all riled up just talking about them reels. :evil22: :evil22: :evil22:
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:54 am

Stasher1 wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote: Them USReels are soooo bulky and have a clunky feeling at the same time rigid - aint that weird? These reels are also heavy. But interesting. My local Cabelas are clearing these out from last time I looked at them 50% off I think. I find the level wind interesting but not worth my money to test. Let us know how those reels stand the test of time - :laugh1:
I've never handled the 1000-series, but I think the 700X and 800SX I have are comparable in size to a Curado 200D. A bit bulkier than the current crop of low profile casting reels, but still reasonably comfortable to palm as long as your hands aren't too small. The weights are also comparable to some other more popular reels, like the Zillion and BPS PQ, and lighter (by a wide margin) than the Curado/Citica 200D series.

They're definitely not a popular choice around here, but the 800SX is doing very well so far. :shrug:
Very true that they are not popular. Cabelas is liquidating them because they have sold maybe less than 50 reels last year. Now if Daiwa made them....eveyone would be talking about how awesome the levelwind is...really - just because its daiwa. I may just pick up the 800SX...maybe? :-s
**What is fishing?**

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:03 am

Buck2thPerch, I bought a 700X for $50 shipped just to see how well the levelwind worked before I bought my 800SX. It's nowhere near as smooth as the 800, but other than that, it's decent reel and easily outcasts my Curado. It's just collecting dust now. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Stasher1 wrote:Buck2thPerch, I bought a 700X for $50 shipped just to see how well the levelwind worked before I bought my 800SX. It's nowhere near as smooth as the 800, but other than that, it's decent reel and easily outcasts my Curado. It's just collecting dust now. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
:lol: Will do if I am interested. For now...no.
**What is fishing?**

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:16 am

:lol: It definitely wouldn't be high on my list of "must have" reels either, but it was worth $50 to me just to be able to handle one in person, verify their casting distance claims, and test the seesaw levelwind on the water. Maybe I'll just toss it in the drawer as a parts reel...