Pflueger Supreme XT or Abu Garcia Soron STX?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
divadkab
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Pflueger Supreme XT or Abu Garcia Soron STX?

Post by divadkab » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:22 am

Frying Pan wrote:Can't say that I have ever used a spare spool in my life but I get the idea behind having one. Do people actually use them for something other than an ashtray? If that is the deal breaker for you I am sure you can order a replacement spool from Pflueger or Abu's repair center and then just buy the reel you prefer. As for the Car comparison both of those reels have been around for some time in one form or another. The new Supreme looks to be built off of the previous model’s base with some obvious changes and the Soron has been on the market for a few years and looks like it was built as well off of an older Abu reel but I can’t think of model/name at the moment.
For people like me who are on a budget (student), a spare spool is like a reel and a half, or at least backup for the primary spool. I would consider ordering a spare spool for the Pflueger, but if the Soron comes with a second spool as good as the first, then I'm happy.
As I mentioned earlier, the Abu I know is rock solid from the reviews. The Supreme is new, and although it may be based off of the previous model, I don't like to make assumptions that the new one will be as good/better/worse than what it's based off of. For the most part, however, the reviews do seem positive.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:36 am

For what it's worth, the Pflueger is lighter. But the Soron will be smoother because of it's lower gear ratio, and more sensitive because of it's metal bail arm (not just the rotor is metal). Sensitivity is not strictly a matter of weight reduction, it's stiffness to weight ratio.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:55 am

I like the looks of the new XT it catches the eye , but for about the same price, I have a hard justifying it over a stradic fi or saros which both come with spare spools that are just alike.

bp182
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bp182 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:51 pm

Mr SwimJig wrote:I love my Soron STX and both spools do have the same drag. The braid ready spool is very nice. The reel is a little on the heavy side but it is built like a tank and will hold up to anything you can throw at it. The reel is very smooth and I have not encountered any problems with the bail at all.

SJ
X2 for the Soron STX, I own 4 of them and have had not one problem with them at all.