Spinning Gear? Why....

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning Gear? Why....

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Basswrangler wrote:I agree with all that has been said plus one more reason, temperature. I know your from Southern Georgia so I don't know how much of an issue it is for you, but here is Wisconsin spring and fall fishing can be frigid. Since spinning gear is much easier to operate with gloves I find myself using predominantly spinning gear in cold conditions. The guides on spinning gear are also larger which tends to help a little if conditions are below freezing and ice is in the picture.

Try using a BC in any weather colder that 30 degrees and you or your thumb are not going to have a good time.
I agree with this. Being Basswgrangler's neighbor in Minnesota, fishing in late fall - October/November in 25-35 Degree Fahrenheit weather is pretty bad. Baitcaster guides/inserts because they are smaller, will be iced through and casting can become frustrating.

I use baitcasters for everything except late fall and early spring fishing. Otherwise I have 4 spinning setups only - two less than $50 (Crappie/panfish) each setup and two over $300 (Walleye/Bass) each setup (I just don't find it worth spending the money to get a (Example)stradic with a $100+ Spinning rod for Crappie or panfish). I use my spinning setups just for those ocasions where baitcasting doesn't do it - i.e. Crappie/panfish and like stated above.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 am

:big grin:

:evil22: :evil22:BECAUSE IT'S ONE MORE REASON TO BUY MORE STUFF! :evil22: :evil22:

\:D/

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:57 am

I would recommend either a Pflueger Supreme XT or a Shimano Soros or Symetre reel and whatever brand of rod you prefer! I have a Symetre on a Abu Garcia Veritas 6'9" ML that i will use for some finesse fishing for bass as well as panfish and trout. I put 8 lb. line on it, but will also use 6 lb.!! St. Croix also makes some excellent rods. I have a 7' Avid ultralight with 4 lb. that I love!

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:10 am

my setup for spinning gear: saros/sustain/stradic + LTB/Legend extreme/Avid.
I have one daiwa combo (can't think of the name for the reel) + Fenwick rod.

StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StPaulPike » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:04 am

I use spinning gear for deep vertical, pan fish, and shaky heads. For a combo i consider my most versatile a 7' m st croix Avid with a stradic 2500.

The Sammy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by The Sammy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 am

Ok I want the entire combo at $250-$300.

I will use this combo for everything from weightless plastics to shaky head to skippin trees and docks and drop shot/deep vertical fishing! So I need very versatile rod an reel and as light as possible :)

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:32 am

Before braid, bc had the advantage when it came to heavier lines. We all know how mono or fc above 10 lb behaves on spinning reels....

Baitcast has the slight advantage when it comes to accuracy, although that is open to debate. I personally prefer light and ultralight spinning for all of my fishing, but I do have a baitcast rig for fishing pads and other heavy cover.
Even that could be replaced by spinning gear. The advent of braid has closed the gap IMO.

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 am

The Sammy wrote:Ok I want the entire combo at $250-$300.

I will use this combo for everything from weightless plastics to shaky head to skippin trees and docks and drop shot/deep vertical fishing! So I need very versatile rod an reel and as light as possible :)

I have a couple setups that I use for those techniques:

6'8" MXF Avid/Pflueger Supreme 8035 and 20# yellow Power Pro
6'8" MXF BPS Carbonlite/Pflueger Supreme XT 9235 (the new charcoal and gold one) and 30# yellow Power Pro.

The first setup can be found for about $280 or so, and the second one runs $210 if you buy the combo at BPS or $260 if you buy the rod and reel separate.

I'm a big St. Croix fan, but lately I've been grabbing the Carbonlite and leaving the Avid on the rack. I haven't noticed a difference in sensitivity between the two, and the Carbonlite setup just feels lighter and better balanced. The Avid has a better warranty, but if the Carbonlite breaks after the 1st year, I'll just drive the 15 miles to my local BPS and replace it for ~$100.

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:05 am

Madbasser wrote:
godshippy wrote:Spinning gear because you can cast light weight lures, get a more natural vertical fall on finesse presentations, and because it's fun. I don't know why, but fighting a fish with 6-8# test on a spinning rod is ridiculous fun; I just can't explain it.
X2
X3, I love catching a 6 on a spinning rod. It's just goofy fun.

The Sammy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by The Sammy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Ok thank you, I'm probably going to end up getting a Pfleuger/Veritas (6'6" or 7'). Thanks for all your help!

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Fat-G wrote:
Madbasser wrote:
godshippy wrote:Spinning gear because you can cast light weight lures, get a more natural vertical fall on finesse presentations, and because it's fun. I don't know why, but fighting a fish with 6-8# test on a spinning rod is ridiculous fun; I just can't explain it.
X2
X3, I love catching a 6 on a spinning rod. It's just goofy fun.
my biggest bass, 14 pounds, was caught on a spinning rig. 6' ul rod with 4 lb test line (i was trout fishing). :big grin:

talking about a blast!!! :big grin: :big grin:

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:34 am

I like all of my weightless presentations on spinning gear. I find spinning gear also much easier to use for smaller jerkbaits. For 04 and 06 sized x-raps, floaters, 65 sized pointers, and such I find it much easier to get the action I want out of them with a spinning set up.

Also braid seems to be impervious to line twist and memory issues. I have had the same 20lb powerpro on one of my spinning reels for about 2 years now and other than the color fading I see no reason to replace it.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:28 am

cause its the best way to catch a bass! Finesse all the way!
Kenjutsu
(剣術)