Team Daiwa Advantage-A

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Team Daiwa Advantage-A

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:33 pm

I just got a zillion coastal and I LOVE it...its far better then any other reel I have ever owned...I am now trying to get rid or my revo sx for something that can handle lighter lures such as shallow cranks and weightless senkos to pair up with a powell crank rod...I read the TT review on the daiwa advantage and they seem to enjoy it. The reviews on TW are also very positive. I was just curious if anyone on here has experience using the magforce z or the TD Advantage for casting light lures with lighter lines?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

bassohol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Team Daiwa Advantage-A

Post by bassohol » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:33 pm

I've got one that I bought to throw shallow to medium cranks and rattle traps with and I love it. Being that I have TDZs, a Fuego, and a Sol to compare it to, I didn't think I was going to be too thrilled with it. I just needed it to fill a niche for the time being. Man, was I wrong! That reel is awesome! I can't speak to how it will work with extremely light baits, but I've thrown some small traps with it. Down to 1/4 ounce. A weightless Senko weighs nearly 1/2 ounce, so I think it will be perfect for you.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:36 pm

nice, thanks man. I was thinking about getting the sol, but TW doesnt carry them (I am returning the revo sx for a daiwa replacement) so I guess the advantage will work out fine. :big grin:

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:33 pm

You'll be pleased with how smooth it is. It is the only worthy Daiwa in the $150ish range.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:12 am

bassohol wrote:I've got one that I bought to throw shallow to medium cranks and rattle traps with and I love it. Being that I have TDZs, a Fuego, and a Sol to compare it to, I didn't think I was going to be too thrilled with it. I just needed it to fill a niche for the time being. Man, was I wrong! That reel is awesome! I can't speak to how it will work with extremely light baits, but I've thrown some small traps with it. Down to 1/4 ounce. A weightless Senko weighs nearly 1/2 ounce, so I think it will be perfect for you.
Yep, I also got a Team Diawa Advantage almost by accident or afterthought, for an extra, to fill a niche and was pleasantly surprised and couldn't be happier with it. I don't lose anything when I need to go with it. I've had it for a couple of years now. Some technocrats may say it's too heavy compared to "other" makes but it definetely does the job and a good all-around job, particularly in the price range. It's retreive is smooth, casts great, and I use almost exclusively no more than 1/8 oz jig heads on plastic or no weight at all on Senkos and the reel is a 2500. I don't use it often as is daily or weekly, but when I do use it I'd say it's flawless.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:22 am

I owned a couple for a couple seasons. They are a fantastic reel when it comes to performance. Only downfall was the weight of the reel (8.6oz I think) and the size of the reel. It has a wde profile, and when fishing next to smaller frame reels it was a little awkward.
Again though, if you can put up with the weight/size issue, I think it is the best $150 reel out there! =D>

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:46 am

do you think it can handle smaller lures like 3/16 and 1/8 oz well? Ive owned a curado 50e and it performed below my standards for smaller lures....does anyone have any thoughts on how they would compare?

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:51 am

i had two of them a few years ago. personally, i'd recommend that you take advantage of TW's free demo program and test drive it (along with a few others) before buying. if you haven't seen or handled one in person before, you may find it to be larger than you anticipated. with regard to how it handles light lures, i couldn't say because it never even occurred to me to use mine for finesse since the reels were large and relatively heavy...i used my daiwa sol, chronarch 50mg and BPS prolite finesse for the light stuff. i'm surprised to hear you didn't find the curado 50 to work well for you but as someone who's gone through dozens and dozens of rods and reels in the past few years, i can tell you that the rod makes as much, if not a bigger, difference in casting small/light lures as the reel.

by the way, wnybob, i think the OP is asking about the casting version, not the spinning version.

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:15 am

by the way, wnybob, i think the OP is asking about the casting version, not the spinning version.
I think you could be right. whoops, sorry, oh well. Maybe he should try the spinning version, it's a nice reel for the money. lol Hey throw it in the trunk, you never know when you may want one. lol And it will throw an 1/8 oz.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:17 am

lol nah I have way to many spinning reels

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:29 am

They are nice, solid reels. I have a couple around here, just sold a couple others. The only complaints I have have been mentioned already, its a bit wider than I would like and a little heavier than competitors out there. Super smooth, great casting, easy to clean and easy to get parts for. What more do you need in a $160 reel? I have no problem throwing down to 1/4 oz, anything lighter gets spinning duty so I haven't really tried.
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:36 pm

I have an older Daiwa Advantage HST, not the HSTA. They are very similar execept for esthetics (Swept handle on HSTA vs TDZ Handles on HST....etc). I use this reel for 1/4oz to 1oz applications...with what ever lure and presentation applies. Very versatile reel. But like others have stated, heavy. I am no Tournament guy so the weight doesn't affect me much. I have not tried 1/8 oz and below. Perhaps that is because I have Zillion's and Fuego's for that application. The TD-A HST is a work horse along with my Curado 200E's, but in my opinion and from reading other reviews, the TD-A HSTA is not as good with light and finesse fishinng applications. You are better off finding a used Fuego. Fuegos can be had for anywhere from $100-$200. I got my second really nice Fuego for only $100 off craigslist - some people just don't know what they have.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:40 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:do you think it can handle smaller lures like 3/16 and 1/8 oz well? Ive owned a curado 50e and it performed below my standards for smaller lures....does anyone have any thoughts on how they would compare?

swap out the "overgreased" factory spool bearings, and put in a set of Abec 7's, and lube them with Quantum Hot Sauce or Yellow Rocket Fuel! =D> \:D/

To get the best performance, if casting light stuff, in ANY reel, this is a MUST :!:

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:37 am

If it were me, I'd save up a bit more coin and get a good condition preowned Zillion myself.. The Advantage is dated and HEAVY.. I bought one when they first came out, off the internet before I held one, and sent it back.. Way to big and way way too HEAVY for me... They are a decent reel though if it were your only choice... I'd keep saving a looking though... :)
Pmedicbm

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:09 pm

I would save my money and stick with the advantage. I have had zillions and the advantage is just as smooth and comes with a 4 bearing handle. you cant even remove the knobs on a zillion unless you get a jdm version. I now have 4 advantage hsta reels and am happy with them. cleaned out the factory oil and grease. added my prefered brand of lube and carbontex drag washers and at a saving of about $100 per reel you can,t go wrong.