ported spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

ported spools

Post by johns » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:12 am

Is it still necessary to tape over the holes in the daiwa spools? Just spooled up my new Zillion type r with 50lb 832 suffic braid. Wasn't going to but ended up putting 5 or 6 wraps of plumbers tape on the spool to keep the water out of the bearings. Better safe than sorry. Any thoughts? john

jpav121
Angler
Angler

Re: ported spools

Post by jpav121 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:03 am

I have heard of people taping spools to keep braid from slipping, but not necessarily to keep water out. With a full spool of line, I don't think you'll have to worry about water getting in through the ports.
Trick 'em & stick 'em

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Taping seems like a good way to imbalance the spool to me...I don't tape any ported spools.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:37 pm

mono backing not enough?

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Braid can slip on a bear spool with a strong enough pull. Many people put a few wraps of mono on tightly and then connect to their braid. If you tie mono correctly it will not slip. Braid can. I have used a few wraps of tape in the past but not to block water. On shallow ported spools I have tied directly through the ports with braid to eliminate slippage. It could be a bad deal though if you spool the reel.

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:05 pm

I used to use mono to anchor braid on the spool but I now use double-stick tape.

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 am

Power pro actually comes with small pieces of tape now so you can put them on your spool and eliminate the slipping issue with braided line. I've use them and they work pretty good. I use two on the spool, on opposite sides of the spool to balance it out. They seem to be a little thicker than I'd like, but they work good.

Salamander
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Salamander » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:11 pm

blakjack23 wrote:Power pro actually comes with small pieces of tape now so you can put them on your spool and eliminate the slipping issue with braided line. I've use them and they work pretty good. I use two on the spool, on opposite sides of the spool to balance it out. They seem to be a little thicker than I'd like, but they work good.

That's what those things are for! I was using them to hold the end of the unused line on the spool. :big grin:

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Just use a mono backing.. You don't need much.. 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 am

I always use Teflon tape to cover the hole and always use mono for backing. I don't want water to get inside the spool from the wet line on the spool. Braid line will hold alot of water.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:06 am

No from me too on the tape... If your going with braid, just use a slight mono backing and your'e good to go... Like NM77 said, it doesn't take much.... :D
Pmedicbm