Which one would you pick?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Which one would you pick?

Post by Phippy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:27 am

I like the Chronarch D7 everyday of the week over the Sol. They can be had right at $240-$250 on ebay. No upgrades needed at all maybe except clean/relube the spool bearings. I don't know the IPT on the sol but being 5:8 I'm guessing it's under 25" compared to the D7 at 30". I just prefer faster ratios for my soft plastics/jigs. The weights are similar but more the likely the ergonomics will be better on the sol but myself can't stand palming any of the frames like the sol/alphas, etc. Don't quote me on this but think the D7 drag will be more powerful as well.

For the record the only Daiwa bc reel I like is the TDZ. :evil22:

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 am

LOL.....X10 Sol!!!!!!!!!

The sol is one AMAZING reel! i put a set of orange seals in it and its preety hard to beat for weightless plastics.

mheber
Angler
Angler

Post by mheber » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:22 am

thanks for all of the input guys i am probably going to go with the sol but does anyone know any place i can find them thats reliable and not to pricey?

mheber
Angler
Angler

Post by mheber » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 am

ok guys just for the sake of argument what about a diawa sol vs a shimano Scorpion XT 1001?

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:53 am

mheber wrote:ok guys just for the sake of argument what about a diawa sol vs a shimano Scorpion XT 1001?

I havent handled the scopion but i have handled the curado 50, and the sol is still the better reel. it casts better and feels way more solid IMO.

The sol's are getting harder and harder to come by. It might be hard to try and find one. I think there was some on ebay but I havent checked in a couple of weeks.

bassohol
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassohol » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:15 pm

joejoe83 wrote:
mheber wrote:ok guys just for the sake of argument what about a diawa sol vs a shimano Scorpion XT 1001?

I havent handled the scopion but i have handled the curado 50, and the sol is still the better reel. it casts better and feels way more solid IMO.

The sol's are getting harder and harder to come by. It might be hard to try and find one. I think there was some on ebay but I havent checked in a couple of weeks.
I second this. I haven't handled a Scorpion, but I have handled a 50E and it was FAR worse than the Sol. In my opinion, the 50E is the worst caster I've ever handled straight out of the box, but that's a thing for another thread. I would still go with the Sol between those two.

I just looked a couple days ago and there were plenty to be had on eBay.

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Gotto go with the sol

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:31 pm

I guess I'll have to say the Sol TOO :big grin:

BUT I'd also look around for a TDZ 103ML. I'd take it over the Sol. If you find one in good condition grab it right away!

For all the guys reccomending the Smoke. How long have you fished these reels. They are still relatively new and the major problem I found w/ Quantum is durability. They start off great and go down hill fast IME. For the record I've owned a bunch of different Quantums. Think they'll keep the smoke in there lineup for more than 2 seasons?
But hey maybe they've finally worked out the bugs.

mheber
Angler
Angler

Post by mheber » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:34 pm

k cool thanks for all the help guys

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:07 pm

Talk about a landslide for the sol :lol:

I don't own a sol (yet) but have fished one and it's a great reel. I would pick one over any of the curado e's simply because I don't like the way they feel in my hand. While the Sol (and lots of other reels) feel very solid/sturdy..IMO the new Curados have a loose, hollow...and I hate to say it..but almost a 'cheap, plasticy' feel. I know plenty of people rave about them so I'm sure they're great reels...I just don't like the way they feel compared to the competition.

If you have trouble finding a Sol or would prefer a new reel you still have a lot of options. A Revo Premier at discount or auction is easily in your price range. It may not be a 'finesse' reel but should cast down to 1/4 oz without too much trouble.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Wow, SOL by a landslide for sure.

Just look at it this way, I have always been a Shimano buff (I am still), but my reels are now more dominantly DAIWA. I have been in search of a good finesse Shimano reel but have never been able to find "That one" reel. Not to mention, I had the choice of a brandnew 50E from my Shimano contact for $130 but decided to wait and just picked up a lightly used DAIWA - Alphas Ito 103 (Same exact reel as the SOL except its the Japanese variant) for $70 more than the would be my 50E. I just put some ABEC9's in my Alphas and WOW....I mean WOW. I am now looking to add more Alphas and perhaps a Pixy or two into my arsenal. For anything other than finesse, I have my Curado 200E's.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Trooper46
Angler
Angler

Post by Trooper46 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:31 am

What about the Chronarch 50mg? Those can be had on ebay for right in your price range.

ncbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ncbass » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:22 pm

I am Shimano ! The Scorpion 1000 4x4 is my choice for light baits, use mine for weightless senkos, 1/8 oz jigs and trick worms and have them paired with a BCR853 GLX and a Cumulus 7 footer. Sweet outfits !!!!!!!