Pinnacle Optimus XT...Competition lookout!!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Pinnacle Optimus XT...Competition lookout!!

Post by dustlane » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 pm

I just got one of the new Pinnacle Optimus XT baitcast reels. I never thought I would pay over $100 for a Pinnacle but I am glad I did. This thing is really something else. It palms better than my Curados, casts just as well but with more control with the tandem cast control. Pinnacle's dual cast control is different than any other available. The magnetic part is just like Daiwa's Magforce instead of the little round magnets that all others use. The centrifugal brake is not adjustable. It is pre-set with four brakes that offer about the same amount or braking as a Curado with two brakes engaged. With the external dial set to zero, the Optimus casts for days but you need some thumb. I set the external dial to two clicks and the Optimus casts extremely well. Just as much distance as my Curados and I didn't even need any thumb. The thumbar is low. It feels just like a Quantum Tour Edition. It palms as well as a Tour Edition but it doesn't have that bulge on the side like the Quantum reels have due to their ACS braking. The knobs are shaped like the knobs on my Curados which I really like. It has the titanium deposition finish on the aluminum sideplates like the Tour Edition. It has an aluminum frame, sideplates, drag star (clicking), tension knob (also clicking), and handle. It even has a titanium line guide. It also has a Duralumin main gear and worm gear (like the Tour Edition and Revo Premier). It holds 120 yards of 12 lb line which is plenty for me. It seems that Pinnacle has taken the best parts of the major reel brands and incorporated them into the Optimus line. To top it off, they put a button on the top right side of the frame that you can push to re-engage the reel so you don't have to change hands when flipping and pitching. And the button never gets in the way.
The Optimus is way more reel than I expected. I own fourteen Curados and Citicas and one Optimus. That will soon change as I plan to add more of these new Pinnacles to my arsenal. The Optimus is truly an amazing reel. the entry level Optimus (Optimus X) is the same price as the Shimano Citica with alot more features. Pinnacle also has a new spinning reel that has not only an aluminum frame but also an aluminum rotor. An aluminum rotor is pretty rare. I believe the spinning reel is about $90. This is my early take on the Optimus and IMO it is definitely worth a look if you are in the market for a reel under $200.

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Pinnacle Optimus XT...Competition lookout!!

Post by Pmedicbm » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 am

Pinnacle? Really.. Pinnacle??? Sounds like they have come a long way in the last couple of years.... The only problem is overcoming the reputation that they have built over the last 20-30 years of building mostly crapola products... Guess I might have to buy me one and put it on my Silstar Flipping stick.. :lol:
Just kidding man, thanks for taking the time to share your opinion with us.... ;)
Pmedicbm

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:49 am

I don't like the idea of the unadjustable centrifugal component of the dual braking system. I would have to try one to know for sure, but it seems this feature would adversly affect casting distance.

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:59 am

I have seen these, and looks wise they are awesome. Not sure about performance but i need to try one out for sure. Thanks for the review.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:55 am

Scorpio wrote:I don't like the idea of the unadjustable centrifugal component of the dual braking system. I would have to try one to know for sure, but it seems this feature would adversly affect casting distance.
That is exactly what I thought. But it does not affect casting distance at all. The brake pins are not really pins but tiny tabs. The contact that the tabs has on the friction is minimal. So much so that if you set the external dial to the minimum setting (no magetic brakes, only centrifugal), you have to thumb the spool quite a bit. It is like it is preset from the factory at its optimal setting. Like I said in my initial post, I have been using Curados and Citcas for a while now and the Optimus will cast at least as far, if not farther, than my Shimanos.

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 pm

I don't like the idea of non-adjustable centrifugal brakes. I sometimes remove all centrifugal braking on my reels; sometimes use a lot. See the thing about centrifugal brakes is that they are only engaged very early in the cast to stop the spool from accelerating over a certain speed. That's the part that is basically impossible to control optimally with a human thumb, nervous system and brain. Once the lure is sailing along to the target, the centrifugal brakes should disengage themselves and other braking methods take over (thumb or mechanical).

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:41 pm

They don't use "normal" centrifugal brakes. The "tabs" they use are so small, four of them might equal two Shimano brakes. I do understand your skepticism though. But you really need to cast one before you pass judgement. I was really skeptical about the centrifugal braking myself until I actually got to use one. It almost feels like someone knew exactly how I like my reels set up and they made the Optimus to my specifications. Hell, it may fall apart next week, but for now, I am amazed.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Kool man...thanks for sharing.

BTW...and again, just a friendly reminder: PARAGRAPHS! ;)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:24 pm

dragon1 wrote:Kool man...thanks for sharing.

BTW...and again, just a friendly reminder: PARAGRAPHS! ;)
Paragraphs? Man, if it wasn't for spell check nobody would have a clue what I was even talking about. #-o

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:11 pm

are the brakes serviceable? I'm wondering what happens when they start wearing down...

and if it's serviceable, I'm sure you can take one or two brake shoe off.. just like how the quantum guys adjust their micro ACS braking

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:41 am

dustlane wrote:I just got one of the new Pinnacle Optimus XT baitcast reels. I never thought I would pay over $100 for a Pinnacle but I am glad I did. This thing is really something else. It palms better than my Curados, casts just as well but with more control with the tandem cast control. Pinnacle's dual cast control is different than any other available. The magnetic part is just like Daiwa's Magforce instead of the little round magnets that all others use. The centrifugal brake is not adjustable. It is pre-set with four brakes that offer about the same amount or braking as a Curado with two brakes engaged. With the external dial set to zero, the Optimus casts for days but you need some thumb. I set the external dial to two clicks and the Optimus casts extremely well. Just as much distance as my Curados and I didn't even need any thumb. The thumbar is low. It feels just like a Quantum Tour Edition. It palms as well as a Tour Edition but it doesn't have that bulge on the side like the Quantum reels have due to their ACS braking. The knobs are shaped like the knobs on my Curados which I really like. It has the titanium deposition finish on the aluminum sideplates like the Tour Edition. It has an aluminum frame, sideplates, drag star (clicking), tension knob (also clicking), and handle. It even has a titanium line guide. It also has a Duralumin main gear and worm gear (like the Tour Edition and Revo Premier). It holds 120 yards of 12 lb line which is plenty for me. It seems that Pinnacle has taken the best parts of the major reel brands and incorporated them into the Optimus line. To top it off, they put a button on the top right side of the frame that you can push to re-engage the reel so you don't have to change hands when flipping and pitching. And the button never gets in the way.
The Optimus is way more reel than I expected. I own fourteen Curados and Citicas and one Optimus. That will soon change as I plan to add more of these new Pinnacles to my arsenal. The Optimus is truly an amazing reel. the entry level Optimus (Optimus X) is the same price as the Shimano Citica with alot more features. Pinnacle also has a new spinning reel that has not only an aluminum frame but also an aluminum rotor. An aluminum rotor is pretty rare. I believe the spinning reel is about $90. This is my early take on the Optimus and IMO it is definitely worth a look if you are in the market for a reel under $200.
One reason I don't like Quantam's or Abu's REVO's (Damn bump sticking out of the palming sideplate).

More like a nipple on the side of the reels :lol: . I'm trying to fish, not fondle my reels ;) .

Give me the me the smooth sideplate of a Shimano or a Daiwa ;) .

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:09 am

That pinnacle spinning reel you speak of is the pinnacle performa i assume. A new model released for 2011. It looks to be an extremely sharp looking spinning reel. This is a reel i have been curious about since seeing it get mention in the "In Fisherman" 2011 gear guide. It also received field & streams "best of the best" award for spinning reel in 2011. I believe it's the latest edition of f & s. The only problem?? Where can i get a look at one of these? I dont believe basspro carries them....i didnt see them in the catalag anyways so i never bothered to look for it when i was in store. Does Cableas carry pinnacle line?? Or is it one of those things that i just have to go to the pinnacle website and order one.....it's only a 100 bucks so it may be worth a shot purchasing it blind.

The other problem i always have when trying to pull the trigger on a "lesser known" brand such as pinnacle is whether or not it's the best value for my dollar at the respective price point. In other words....it may be a very nice reel but is it a better buy then say a shimano symetre for the same money? Its a problem im sure manufacturers like pinnacle encounter when trying to move up out of the lower end of tackle and into the competitive mid-price tackle. (see quantum)

revo680
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by revo680 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:24 am

All the reel manufacturers have sure improved their $150-$200 range baitcast reels. There is so many good reels in that price range now its enough to drive a person nuts with indecision. ](*,)

StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StPaulPike » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Man i keep looking at these on TW. Just cant pull the trigger do to problems i had with a pinnacle alyssa xlt 2 years ago it was junk out of the box. Maybe ill just have to bight the bullet and give it a try to please the monkey.

v3n0m
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by v3n0m » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:31 pm

NO {LH} whatsoever! ](*,) ](*,)
~>V{e}N{o}M<~