Power Handles

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mck1975
Angler
Angler

Power Handles

Post by mck1975 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:37 am

I have a question about using power handles. I own the Revo Toro and Toro Winch, both reels had power handles included. The question is what are real the advantages of using the power handles?
GO BUCKS - O-H-I-O

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Power Handles

Post by slipperybob » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:45 am

Comfort. You can crank with just your wrist. With two handles, you have to sort of use your elbow into the cranking to avoid your hand from running into the other handle.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:36 am

It's definitely a comfort thing, and with the reels you mentioned and their intended uses (deep cranks, saltwater gamefish, etc.) a power handle helps a lot. It's not just the single knob that makes cranking more enjoyable, but also the length of the power handles. I guess it's really all personal preference, and I prefer a longer handle.

mck1975
Angler
Angler

Post by mck1975 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks for the replies guys. After looking at the handles, I could see no difference in the turn radius and such, and that got me thinking what the real advantage may be. I guess I'll put one on and check it out. I know I could have done that before asking, however the less I take apart the better I feel.

What was offered makes sense and being new to the left hand retrieve may make the change easier - we'll see. i went leftie because I was just getting tired of switching hands all the time. Growing up on spinning setups all left hand, I just felt it couldn't be that much of a challenge. So far so good.

Tight lines to you all. GO BUCKS!
GO BUCKS - O-H-I-O