Broken Revo Premier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Gatorjaw
Angler
Angler

Broken Revo Premier

Post by Gatorjaw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Need a little help. I've got a broke foot (not sure what to call it) the part that actually mounts to the rod on the bottom of my revo primier. I love this reel and want to have it fixed but it looks like it's part of the frame so what can/should I do to have it repaired? Reel is 2 yo, spotless and is awesome. Thanks for all advise!
Take your kids hunting and you won't be hunting your kids!
One thing about baldness, it's neat!

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Broken Revo Premier

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Find out the part number on the Abu Garcia schematic page for the frame and order one from them. If it is over priced, I'd buy a new reel (Don't know how much frames run for). But it seems like that reel has already given you 2 good years of fishing. My Premier, on the the other hand, is at Abu Garcia for the 2nd time for a warranty claim.. :(

Here you go: http://www.abugarcia.com/support/reel-schematics

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Sorry to hear about that. How did it break? I've never heard of that happening before.

Anyway, call Pure Fishing up in Iowa. They may surprise you. I've been very happy with their customer support so far. But your reel is out of warranty apparently, so hard to say.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 am

ogrich31 wrote:Find out the part number on the Abu Garcia schematic page for the frame and order one from them. If it is over priced, I'd buy a new reel (Don't know how much frames run for). But it seems like that reel has already given you 2 good years of fishing. My Premier, on the the other hand, is at Abu Garcia for the 2nd time for a warranty claim.. :(

what happen to your premier that you have to send it in for the second time, whats it doing.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:15 am

I agree, call abu garcia's customer service and see what they say. Even if it's out of warranty, breaking a reel foot is something that just shouldn't happen. They may fix/replace it anyway.

It's not necessarily in stock, but southwesternparts.com has the frame at 33.14, and it should be the same if you ordered directly from abu garcia, and their shipping is less. And by replacing the frame are you comfortable completely deconstructing your reel and putting all the parts on a new frame?

Reguardless, I'd call abu, talk to customer service.

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:42 am

taylor5877 wrote:I agree, call abu garcia's customer service and see what they say. Even if it's out of warranty, breaking a reel foot is something that just shouldn't happen. They may fix/replace it anyway.

It's not necessarily in stock, but southwesternparts.com has the frame at 33.14, and it should be the same if you ordered directly from abu garcia, and their shipping is less. And by replacing the frame are you comfortable completely deconstructing your reel and putting all the parts on a new frame?

Reguardless, I'd call abu, talk to customer service.

Wow, 33$ doesn't sound bad at all for a reel that already gave two good years for service. Thats good news, and if Pure Fishing fixes it for free its even better.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:14 am

phatbass wrote:
ogrich31 wrote:Find out the part number on the Abu Garcia schematic page for the frame and order one from them. If it is over priced, I'd buy a new reel (Don't know how much frames run for). But it seems like that reel has already given you 2 good years of fishing. My Premier, on the the other hand, is at Abu Garcia for the 2nd time for a warranty claim.. :(

what happen to your premier that you have to send it in for the second time, whats it doing.
First time was bearings so I didn't open it up because when I called, the lady told me it would void the warranty so I took it to a Abu Garcia warranty tackle shop and they said bearings were messed up and replaced it. 2nd time, I don't really know what it was, it was making some weird noise while reeling so I opened it up, cleaned it, put it back together and it still made the sound so I sent it in as it was still under warranty..

It's not that I don't take care of my reels, maybe this particular one is just bad luck... I've never had these problems with my Shimano's before. And I'm still keeping the Premier, I still feel like it's one of my best reels despite the difficulties.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 am

Madbasser...I was kinda shocked at how little the new frame costs myself...

You'd have to be a pretty competent reel mechanic to do all that work yourself though...

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 am

taylor5877 wrote:Madbasser...I was kinda shocked at how little the new frame costs myself...

You'd have to be a pretty competent reel mechanic to do all that work yourself though...
I'm not too sure about that ... we were required to reassemble our reels blindfolded in under 2 minutes when I was in BASS-ic training! :crying:

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:26 pm

ogrich31 wrote:It's not that I don't take care of my reels, maybe this particular one is just bad luck... I've never had these problems with my Shimano's before. And I'm still keeping the Premier, I still feel like it's one of my best reels despite the difficulties.
Sorry to hear about that, but I'd say it's just bad luck. You sure don't read about many issues with the new Premier's. I have 4 of them, 2 I've had for over a year now and I fish them pretty hard. Not a single issue with any of them. I did have one making some noise after it had taken a little swim, but a normal PM (clean/lube bearings, pawl and gears, which I do regularly on all my reels) cured it. Same thing happened on my Calais DC, too, so not just a Premier thing.

Gatorjaw
Angler
Angler

Post by Gatorjaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I emailed garcia and one of their repair centers emailed me back said to send it to them. Been on vacation but will let you know how it turns out.

I've been reading on tt for a while & I've bought several reels. You guys are sooo smart when it comes to r & r. I hope to learn more from yall. Not on here much, kind of in spurts. Thanks again for the help!
Take your kids hunting and you won't be hunting your kids!
One thing about baldness, it's neat!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 am

Johnny A wrote:
taylor5877 wrote:Madbasser...I was kinda shocked at how little the new frame costs myself...

I'm not too sure about that ... we were required to reassemble our reels blindfolded in under 2 minutes when I was in BASS-ic training! :crying:
They've raised the time to 12 minutes now with the females nowadays. :laugh1:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:33 am

$33 isn't bad at all for the frame but the shipping rates that Southwestern Parts charges is insane. I once ordered a very small part from them and the shipping cost was somewhere around $15. I only live an hour and a half away from them and the part came in a simple envelope. Granted it did get to me very quickly since I live so close but by the time I paid for shipping, a $2 part cost me nearly $20. I now get all of my parts directly from the manufacturer. It may take a few days longer, but it is alot cheaper.

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:44 am

dustlane wrote:$33 isn't bad at all for the frame but the shipping rates that Southwestern Parts charges is insane. I once ordered a very small part from them and the shipping cost was somewhere around $15. I only live an hour and a half away from them and the part came in a simple envelope. Granted it did get to me very quickly since I live so close but by the time I paid for shipping, a $2 part cost me nearly $20. I now get all of my parts directly from the manufacturer. It may take a few days longer, but it is alot cheaper.
The last time I ordered directly from Daiwa they charged me $22 for shipping. :evil:

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:58 am

Abu (spirit lake) doesn't gouge as badly for shipping on their parts, a lot of the times southwesternparts has stuff they don't for their own reels...

Sadly, Quantum is about the best company I've found for parts on their recent run reels. You can search a directory online and order directly from them. They are also extremely reasonable on prices.