Pflueger Patriarch musings

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bass806
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Pflueger Patriarch musings

Post by bass806 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:49 pm

OK, I got the reel in Friday (got it on sale at Overstock baits) and have yard cast/fished a bunch with it. I originally purchased it for my son to use. I have since ordered 3 more for ME.
What I can't understand is how Pflueger can make such a good reel for that price point. Don't get me wrong, I love my collection of reels from Shimano. I have Calais', Chronarchs, 50MG, Cores, etc. This Patriarch damn near outcasts them all. Except the Calais. It is as smooth as the Core and 50MG (no really). It blows the door of some earlier Curados I have.
I plan to supertune it and I can't imagine what it will be like then.
I tore down several Calais this weekend for upgraded bearings and drags and for the life of me, I can't tell any crafstmanship or quality differences between the Pflueger and Shimanos. Are companies just getting better or did Pflueger go all out with the intent to gain market and loose some profit on this model.

Any thoughts?????

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Pflueger Patriarch musings

Post by capt1fish » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Man, I know exactly what you mean. It took me a while to get my mind (and ego) wrapped around the fact that a lower priced point reel can have equal and perhaps better performance than a top tier brand like Daiwa and Shimano.

While I don't have any of the Patriarchs that you're speaking to, I do have a Patriarch XT (with another coming). They will be used on my 854 NRX rods. My buddy, like you, bought a Patriarch to try out and has since ordered three more as well.

I have also dabbled with BPS's Carbonlite and really really really like the way they cast. To the point that now I have three Carbonlite reels to replace my 50Mgs. I don't think these reels will replace my Daiwas for short line power techniques, but for shallow cranking and general casting, they get the nod this year.

I suppose the true test will be time. But for (only) $100, out-of-the-box they remind me of a 2010 Premier minus the drag power and cosmetics.
Last edited by capt1fish on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ILFish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ILFish » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:31 pm

I've never tried the Patriarch but I do have an older Trion and it is still one of the best reels I own. A good clean/oil/lube and with stock bearings cleaned, this thing beats up Curados.

If you're looking for inexpensive/high-performing reels for under $100, check out the newest version of the BPS Pro Qualifier. Outstanding quality and performance, inside and out.

Valky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Valky » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:17 pm

bass806 wrote:What I can't understand is how Pflueger can make such a good reel for that price point.
Instead of this question, you should ask why Shimano and Daiwa are so expensive. :big grin:

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:03 am

The PATRIARCH reel is the RODNEY DANGERFIELD OF REELS. The PATRIARCH reel is one of the best reels on the market today.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:05 am

capt1fish wrote:

I don't think these reels will replace my Daiwas for short line power techniques, but for shallow cranking and general casting, they get the nod this year.

Just out of curiosity, why do you find Daiwa superior to Abu for short line power techniques?

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:01 am

Yep,
Never owned a Pflueger baitcaster, always been a Shimano/Daiwa guy.
But I grabbed 2 Patriarch XT's over the winter, and have fished them twice, and they are an awsome reel!
We'll see over time though. :big grin:

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:56 am

I purchased a Patriarch over the winter to match with my new Carbonlite rod. Reallllly nice.
I think Pflueger is too low key in the marketing department. The dual braking system works very well once you figure out the correct settings. It ain't rocket science but it takes a few casts to get the feel for how it works. The reel comes with four centrifugal brake blocks engaged (up). That's too much. I like two or three. Set the mag brake on 5 and cast and adjust it a click or two back until you hit the sweet spot; done. Fish like heck for the rest of the day.

I have Pro Qualifiers too. Really good reels for less than $100 and frequently on sale for $79. I chose it over the Citica and I would do it again. No mods needed. I recommend these to my friends who want to try a baitcaster.

I think the distance between Shimano and the other manufacturers has closed significantly in the last few years.
I also think that Pure Fishing's ownership of a lot of the manufacturers has a lot to do with it.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:22 am

bass806 wrote:What I can't understand is how Pflueger can make such a good reel for that price point.
do you mean the $130 price that you got it for or the normal $200 price? thanks.

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 am

Not a big fan. All the spinning reels i've bought that are Pflueger have broken and are now junk. Maybe the baitcasters are different.
They just don't last as long as Daiwa's or Shimanos in my experience.

Good now does not justify being crap later.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:26 am

I've had my eye on the new Patriarch spinning reels but with a $200 price and no where around here to actually see one, I'm a bit hesitant on pulling the trigger.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 am

There's a few models on Tackle Warehouse for sale.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:17 am

I got TW to price match the Patriarch for $130 last week. Reel should be here tomorrow and I can't wait :D

I can't speak for the Patriarch as I haven't used one yet but agree on the idea that 'budget' reels perform very well anymore. Someone mentioned the Carbonlite above, I also own one and it is one of my favorite reels. The casting distance is amazing and it's almost effortless with the dual braking.

High end reels are always attractive and I'm sure I will buy more at some point but for right now other options fit my budget the best and I see very little (if any) performance loss.

bass806
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bass806 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:06 pm

21farms wrote:
do you mean the $130 price that you got it for or the normal $200 price? thanks.
Either way, its an impressive reel evan at full retail. But why would anyone pay retail???

husker 1
Angler
Angler

Post by husker 1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:14 pm

I had a chance to check out the Patriarch spinning reel yesterday and all I can say is WOW!! I am a die hard Shimano guy but this thing was incredible, felt better than my CI4. Only thing I didn't care for was the foam knob but otherwise it felt sick!