Pflueger Patriarch musings

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Pflueger Patriarch musings

Post by capt1fish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Johnny A wrote:
capt1fish wrote:

I don't think these reels will replace my Daiwas for short line power techniques, but for shallow cranking and general casting, they get the nod this year.

Just out of curiosity, why do you find Daiwa superior to Abu for short line power techniques?
Johnny,

Last summer I replaced my STX reels for punching with the Zillion Type R. I still rotate my Revos into the mix here and there...after all I do own about 10 of em. ;) I perceive the Type R to be more powerful and smoother. To me, it handles the 65 and 80lb braid better than the compact Revos. Sure the overall drag is stronger on the STX, but something about the Type R just feels right for this technique.

With that said, today I got to play with my 2010 Premier in the yard. I can see why you've been such a fan of this reel and I hate myself for picking one up! I went from 8 down to 4 2009 Premiers with carbontex and brake upgrades but they can't hold a candle to the stock 2010 Premier for power, casting ease and smoothness with additional bearings. I really think that the 2010 can do EVERYTHING I need in a baitcaster for my style of fishing...except replace my Type R for punching mats. ;)

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:28 am

capt1fish wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
capt1fish wrote:

I don't think these reels will replace my Daiwas for short line power techniques, but for shallow cranking and general casting, they get the nod this year.

Just out of curiosity, why do you find Daiwa superior to Abu for short line power techniques?
Johnny,

Last summer I replaced my STX reels for punching with the Zillion Type R. I still rotate my Revos into the mix here and there...after all I do own about 10 of em. ;) I perceive the Type R to be more powerful and smoother. To me, it handles the 65 and 80lb braid better than the compact Revos. Sure the overall drag is stronger on the STX, but something about the Type R just feels right for this technique.

With that said, today I got to play with my 2010 Premier in the yard. I can see why you've been such a fan of this reel and I hate myself for picking one up! I went from 8 down to 4 2009 Premiers with carbontex and brake upgrades but they can't hold a candle to the stock 2010 Premier for power, casting ease and smoothness with additional bearings. I really think that the 2010 can do EVERYTHING I need in a baitcaster for my style of fishing...except replace my Type R for punching mats. ;)
Thanks for clearing that up. In a way I'm in agreement with you on the bigger feel of the Zillion over the Revos in that situation and I think that would explain why I'm not a big fan of the Steez, it's too light and too compact. I'm trading off for the drag power though.
I bought a JDM Zillion when TW had them on sale. I thought the lighter drag capability wouldn't be an issue for open water jerkbaits and crankbaits. I may have gone the additional $125.00 had I been aware of the Type R's capabilities. Who knows, I may still get one but I hate those American style knobs!
I'm always hesitant to say "You'll like something" or "You'll hate something" because I don't want to prejudice anybody's experience with a particular product but since you've had a chance to check out the Premier, I think you might find your initial thoughts right on the money.

revo680
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by revo680 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:46 am

I have not used a reg. patriarch, but I can say that the xt is a very good reel! Better than the curado and very close to the core 50mg7. If it came in 7 to 1 and they got rid of those EVA knobs I would own nothing but the patriarch xt.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Patriarch came in today and I'm happy with it so far. Reels very smooth, seems to just have a good 'quality/sturdy' feel to it and fits my hand very well. Not a huge fan of the finish as fingerprints/smudges seem to be impossible to keep off. But I've also heard it's more durable than the finish on Revos (all mine have boat rash) so that would be worth it IMO.

My only major complaint so far is the handle system and having to tighten the drag to remove it. Why not just use a standard assembly? I seem to recall posts about swapping these out from (I think) the Revo lineup. Unfortunately my technical knowledge is lacking, but I believe someone maybe swapped out the main gear to get the revo drag stack and standard handle? Anyone know anything more about this?

Can't wait to get it on the water I think it's going to perform very well.

Edit - I've yet to even handle an XT but plan on keeping my eye out for a good deal. 8oz isn't bad but I prefer a reel <7 and love the EVA grips on my other reels. Seems like the XT would suit my needs perfectly.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Breezy, did you get the older style Patriarch or the newest handle style like this
patriarch_lp.jpg
newest handle style
patriarch_lp.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 4208 times

bass806
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bass806 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Well shoot. I didn't know there was a new handle. All of mine came with the old style it looks like. Any other changes????

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 pm

I don't have it in front of me but I believe it's the older style (didn't realize there was a new one either). It's definitely the style where the handle is removed by cranking down the drag star, pushing it in and then spinning the handle off. That one looks like it has a handle nut, have they moved to 'normal' handle with the latest ones?

I still believe I remember seeing posts about replacing the entire assembly of the style I have where you ended up with the revo drag stack and standard handle attachment.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:55 pm

bass806 wrote:Well shoot. I didn't know there was a new handle. All of mine came with the old style it looks like. Any other changes????
Fairly certain mine is the older style also. I assumed they were going so cheaply to get rid of inventory for a new model but I didn't know it was already out :lol: I'd be curious to know about any changes also.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:44 am

I've seen a lot of the older style Patriarchs still around. I am not aware of any other changes besides the handle.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:30 am

I have a special place in my heart for Pflueger reels. I learned to use a bait-cater with my Dad' Pflueger "knobby" :D

Every time I handle a higher end Pflueger, I'm amazed at the quality and smoothness, they just feel solid. Even the President is well made and nicely appointed (IMO). While they are not the lightest reels available, they are not overly heavy. Their feel spools are exceptionally "free". :D

I have the Asaro (narrow) which I grabbed on sale and have nothing but praise for the reel. I think the Pflueger line of reels offers a lot of value for the budget minded angler (IMO).
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:05 am

Oh yea, one more thing..................I freaking love the handle knobs on the XT's! =D>
I know alot of people don't. :?:

Another thing, I've used it on 3 outings so far, and I'm VERY pleased how it has performed. I caught a 15+ lb catfish while cranking a KVD squarebill (and YES it was a chart/black back color!) and that fish put it's drag to a great test! & the Patriarch XT has the smoothest stock drag I've ever experienced. =D>

Also, the XT looks sweet on a Dobyns Champion rod too! :big grin:

Last edited by OhioChamp183 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:20 am

My buddy has one and loves it. Personally, I'm waiting for a lefty Patriarch XT. C'mon Pflueger!
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:06 am

how does the patriarch handle light lures like 3/16 oz or 1/8 oz?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Why does it amaze people thet Pflueger makes a good product at a decent price ? Because it doesn't have a rabid fanboy following it doesn't deserve consideration ?

The truth is they make as good of a product as ANYONE else out there. Do they have duds in their lineup ? Yes they do. So do the rest of them.

Whatever you fish with, if you do it because it's the right reel for you that's fine. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that most brand bashers likely never fished the brands they trash, they're nothing more than parrots repeating what they've heard. Tools... :talk hand:

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NYBASSIN » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:18 am

[quote="ecu daniel 14"]how does the patriarch handle light lures like 3/16 oz or 1/8 oz?[/quot
This reel can do absolutely everything.From light suff to heavy stuff.I have three of them all mounted on cumaras and i love them.
The only other reels in that price range that i own personally are an old premier and a zillion.The old premier stays home and while the zillion does find its way to the boat it CAN NOT compete with the Patriarch XT in any way.
I prefer the dual brake, it casts farther,casts light stuff better,pitches better,weighs 2 ounces less,better profile for palming, bearing supported knobs,and just looks better.
If i could i would trade away my zillion for an Xt in a heartbeat woulnt even think twice