ICast 2011 rumors

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: ICast 2011 rumors

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:00 am

y2k88 wrote:Think it's now up on Quantum's website
http://www.quantumfishing.com/exo
There's also a video of Bill Dance showing how smooth the drag is.
I was disappointed that it wasn't a blooper.

And I have no idea who Bill Dance is apart from that he's a tool on youtube haha.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:03 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
I stand corrected. The reel is made of Aluminum Alloy.

If you can run a reel over with a truck, its worthy of consideration. Definetly gets my attention.
Well...no one saw it work properly afterwards. Reasons that is a sham:

1. They used an empty pickup...i.e. the lightest end of the vehicle. I'd like to see the front tires pass over it.
2. They put plywood under it to cushion it.
3, The tire is under-inflated.

Not too impressive to me. :roll: That is like those dumb magic bracelet videos.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:51 am

y2k88 wrote:
y2k88 wrote:And I have no idea who Bill Dance is apart from that he's a tool on youtube haha.
That's to bad, he's an amazing ambassador for the sport. Even the majority of people up here in NYC who think bass are the fish you eat from the ocean have an idea of who Bill is.
He only fish's private pods now but he still manages to do a very informative show and he's not as big a shill on his show as his contemporaries are.
MegabassUSA.com

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:15 am

Tokugawa wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:

If you can run a reel over with a truck, its worthy of consideration. Definetly gets my attention.

1. They used an empty pickup...i.e. the lightest end of the vehicle. I'd like to see the front tires pass over it.

I fall for those magic braclets all the time!!! ](*,) ](*,)

I'll have to watch that video again. Go figure when ur tired....3hours of sleep and gotta go to work around midnight....you miss alot of little details. Yup, while you are all sleeping in the US, I am up and working in the US. the Aussies and Europeans are up posting with me on TT. :?
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:18 am

vArm wrote:
y2k88 wrote:
y2k88 wrote:And I have no idea who Bill Dance is apart from that he's a tool on youtube haha.
That's to bad, he's an amazing ambassador for the sport. Even the majority of people up here in NYC who think bass are the fish you eat from the ocean have an idea of who Bill is.
He only fish's private pods now but he still manages to do a very informative show and he's not as big a shill on his show as his contemporaries are.
I grew up watching alot of Bill Dance and Jimmy Houston back in the early 90's. Bill Dance and his bloopers are some funny stuff. I get a kick out of watching the bloopers. Nothing like a grumpy old man falling off a boat!! :lol:
**What is fishing?**

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:29 am

I met jimmy houston not too long ago and was not impressed. Let's just say he's a little too "hollywood" for my taste...Bill's first blooper tape is a classic, but some of the subsequent installments seem a little staged. Can't blame him for trying to capitalize on a succesful idea though.

Valky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Valky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:34 am

Tokugawa wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:

If you say that their test is a fail, do you brave enough to put your foot there under the same condition? :big grin:
Even the lightest end of the vehicle it's still heavy, and they roll over the reel slowly, not just try to go quick passing the reel.

In their website they already test that they had push up to 1700 lbs on the reel and it still fine. This is one strong reel, light, and look nice. With my experience on Smoke 100 and thier ACS, this one would be more fine brake tuning reel, which is good for casting. I am sold on this one.

However, there should be something more to really rock the world.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:46 am

They should just look at reintroducing fully synchronised levelwinds.

To be honest, I don't see anything special about the TWS. Just seems like another see saw bar (US Reels). The reason the TWS might be or become successful is because of brand exposure. The real selling points of the T3 I think are Mag 3D and Zaion.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:51 am

Valky wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:

If you say that their test is a fail, do you brave enough to put your foot there under the same condition? :big grin:
Even the lightest end of the vehicle it's still heavy, and they roll over the reel slowly, not just try to go quick passing the reel.

In their website they already test that they had push up to 1700 lbs on the reel and it still fine. This is one strong reel, light, and look nice. With my experience on Smoke 100 and thier ACS, this one would be more fine brake tuning reel, which is good for casting. I am sold on this one.

However, there should be something more to really rock the world.
Sure. I had my foot run over by the rear tires of a car as a kid. At 6 years old it scared me (and my mom), but nothing was damaged...not even bruising. :big grin: You have to remember that an empty pickup has about 65-35 weight distribution and extra wide tires. I bet a Curado 50/51 or an Alphas/Pixy will pass the same test easily.

1700lbs? How much do other reels take? That's the question... :-s

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:50 am

y2k88 wrote:They should just look at reintroducing fully synchronised levelwinds.

To be honest, I don't see anything special about the TWS. Just seems like another see saw bar (US Reels). The reason the TWS might be or become successful is because of brand exposure. The real selling points of the T3 I think are Mag 3D and Zaion.
I disagree. Similar but during retrieval US Reel's "SeeSaw" bar does not finely control your fishing line vs Daiwa's T-wing actually does control to a very fine level. The T-Wing's control of your line during retrieval is even better than regular reels due to the small lower notch of the T-Wing which does not allow and or give the line room to move at all. US Reels was onto something but innovation without any conceptual application only insinuate the end result. Which in my opinion, is why those heavy and bulky US Reels were never a good extrapolation of the innovation. Daiwa on the otherhand conceived and applied the innovation correctly.
**What is fishing?**

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:05 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
y2k88 wrote:
Don't know about you guys but where I normally fish I don't encounter many trucks. lol Sorry. I couldn't resist. :)

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:34 am

Looks like shimano is just capitalizing on the Chronarch name. The new one is priced at 199. :doh:

http://blog.wired2fish.com/blog/bid/573 ... se-Preview

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:39 am

Better info on Tacklewarehouse.com The Chronarch will now come in 50 and 200 sizes, but yeah, for the most part its a rebadged Curado.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... SCH5E.html

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:51 am

blakjack23 wrote:Better info on Tacklewarehouse.com The Chronarch will now come in 50 and 200 sizes, but yeah, for the most part its a rebadged Curado.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... SCH5E.html
So the Curado and Chronarch marques are moving downscale in Shimano land? Hmmmm.... :-k

So what are they offering in the $250-$300 price point?

Daiwa has a ton of reels now:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Re ... DAIWA.html

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:00 am

yaaaay a new megaforce :) ......what? you guys aren't more excited about this than some stupid T3 :oops:

haha...but yea it seems as far as reels go, Daiwa just took the cake, quantum came up with something somewhat interesting, Abu followed Daiwa's lead from a few years back, and Shimano kinda dropped the ball.

Shimano's new rods, however, basically just took control of the low to mid range price points, which will net them a serious profit, even if they don't capture the enthusiast's hearts.