ICast 2011 rumors

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ICast 2011 rumors

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:03 am

a little edit to the above post: I do like the looks of the new Stradic FJ and the Sustain FG...time will tell if they have performance to match

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:33 am

Tokugawa wrote:
blakjack23 wrote:Better info on Tacklewarehouse.com The Chronarch will now come in 50 and 200 sizes, but yeah, for the most part its a rebadged Curado.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_ ... SCH5E.html
So the Curado and Chronarch marques are moving downscale in Shimano land? Hmmmm.... :-k

So what are they offering in the $250-$300 price point?

Daiwa has a ton of reels now:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Re ... DAIWA.html
I agree you two. I think Shimano just layed a huge white and green egg. Daiwa looks to be running away with this years show. I do have to agree, Shimano's revamp of the Crucial and Compre Line of rods look very nice.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:44 am

So Buck, now that it's out, I guess you can tell us more about it...that new Megaforce that you were keeping a secret from all of us :lol:

Sorry, but it seems that EVERYBODY came to iCast with some cheap stuff this year. Abu redid their MAX line and came out with Orra spinners, Shimano...well we all know what shimano did, and Daiwa came with the Laguna and the new Megaforce. I understand everyone trying to appeal to the working man who can't afford flash, cause thats me, but I have to wonder if these low end offerings will be up to snuff, because usually, they aren't.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:08 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:So Buck, now that it's out, I guess you can tell us more about it...that new Megaforce that you were keeping a secret from all of us :lol:

Sorry, but it seems that EVERYBODY came to iCast with some cheap stuff this year. Abu redid their MAX line and came out with Orra spinners, Shimano...well we all know what shimano did, and Daiwa came with the Laguna and the new Megaforce. I understand everyone trying to appeal to the working man who can't afford flash, cause thats me, but I have to wonder if these low end offerings will be up to snuff, because usually, they aren't.
TW has already posted it up. Its a revamp of the older Megforce. Except Gear Ratio went up 7:3:1 from 7:1:1. Color Change. TW Shows same BB count but my notes show 6BB + 2RB(?). So if my notes are correct, the new Megforce has an extra bearing or most likely could be a typo. And now the new reel has CCRBB vs the old one did not. Swept handle on the new one vs straight handle on the old one. More rigid alloy frame. Clicking Drag - if tghe old one did not have it. New one haas Magforce Z vs the old was just "Megforce"? Mostly minor costmetic changes. Sorry I don't own one so I can't really go into further detail.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Me ... DMTHC.html
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:11 am

Yea I reviewed the specs, it is definitely a vast improvement over the old one, but I can't help but be skeptical about daiwa's "value" reels. High end stuff they do superbly, low end stuff, not so much.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:29 am

y2k88 wrote:Surely this must be the only baitcast reel you can drive over :lol:

I am more intrigued by this than Daiwa's TWS.
I don't drive over my reels, I fish with them. How does it fish? This is really the question.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:01 am

Valky wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:
y2k88 wrote:Think it's now up on Quantum's website
http://www.quantumfishing.com/exo
I stand corrected. The reel is made of Aluminum Alloy.

If you can run a reel over with a truck, its worthy of consideration. Definetly gets my attention.
Well...no one saw it work properly afterwards. Reasons that is a sham:

1. They used an empty pickup...i.e. the lightest end of the vehicle. I'd like to see the front tires pass over it.
2. They put plywood under it to cushion it.
3, The tire is under-inflated.

Not too impressive to me. :roll: That is like those dumb magic bracelet videos.
If you say that their test is a fail, do you brave enough to put your foot there under the same condition? :big grin:
Even the lightest end of the vehicle it's still heavy, and they roll over the reel slowly, not just try to go quick passing the reel.

In their website they already test that they had push up to 1700 lbs on the reel and it still fine. This is one strong reel, light, and look nice. With my experience on Smoke 100 and thier ACS, this one would be more fine brake tuning reel, which is good for casting. I am sold on this one.

However, there should be something more to really rock the world.
I think you will be disappointed with the braking system. It doesn't look like it has an external adjustment. ](*,)

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 am

Shimano's revamp of their rods = =D>
Shimano's revamp of their reels = ](*,)

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:05 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:High end stuff they do superbly, low end stuff, not so much.

I agree. Their lower end stuff is ehhhh and I don't understand all this hype about their stuff coming out. I don't see how they can "run away" with the show over Shimano. It's all over priced and when sales come into factor, we'll see who "runs" away with the show.

Shimano's move makes their reels more tuner friendly as we can now swap more parts. We can take old and new and make new reels and SAVE money. Hopefully the parts are compatible though.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 am

facelessnewsouth wrote: ...
Sorry, but it seems that EVERYBODY came to iCast with some cheap stuff this year. Abu redid their MAX line and came out with Orra spinners, ...
I was able to check out a couple of the reintroduced Max line over the Winter. It was during the period when we had about 3' feet of snow on the ground. The Silver Max had a flippin' switch which worked well enough and cast smooth enough.
It would have been nice to be able to field test it thoroughly but that wasn't going to happen. I think the guys who don't want to spend an arm and a leg for tackle actually came out ahead of the game. Technology rolls down hill. You'll be able to pick up a reliable outfit.