Painting reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Painting reels

Post by FishEastCarolina » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:55 am

I just invested in my first airbrush and am considering painting my reel side plates. Any Tips? I will be painting them a solid color
new day the same way

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Painting reels

Post by Pmedicbm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:08 am

Lots of prep work and detailed taping of the places where you don't want the paint to create fitting issues.. That's about all I've got on it....
Pmedicbm

LordRiper
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LordRiper » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 am

- very light aplications: its better 2 o 3 thini layers than only 1
- use high quality paints and thiner
-- Salim Giacoman --
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"

PESCATORE
Angler
Angler

Post by PESCATORE » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:46 am

I would recommend using automotive paint because it has the best durability. However sometimes it is hard to get auto paint in such small quantities. I would do this; Alot of body shops have a crap load of premixed paint laying around, and most of the time they haven't put hardening catalyst in it. You might be able to to get hooked-up by one of them. This does limit your color selection a bit, especially if you want a custom color. If this doesn't work out, try to use the Testor's Brand enamels, there is a huge array of colors and you can get all the thinners and hardeners you need, and I believe pearls too. The Body shop I work at has a little extra of every damn color you can think of. I agree with the other replies mentioning thin coats and back-masking the sideplates. Mask off the back of the plate with a flapped piece of tape so you don't get a hard edge in your paint job, this will make it crack and peel easily. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions if need be.

FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishEastCarolina » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:07 pm

I already have the colors of testors paint I desire however I don't really know how much thinner to use. is there a certain amount like half the little testors bottle to a bottle of paint? I am only going to paint the side plates because I have never fully assembled and disassembled a reel. Also do you you sand/scuff the old paint to get the enamel to stick?
new day the same way

PESCATORE
Angler
Angler

Post by PESCATORE » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:09 am

I would say 3 parts paint to 2 parts thinner for Gloss paint, and 3 parts paint to 1 part thinner for Flat paint. I would recommend using a flat color coat and follow it up with a few coats of hardened clear. It is much more durable. This is typically refered to as a 2-stage paint job. Remember to have your airbrush set to the prober psi, about 18-25 psi is good. For preperation, it is vital to remove most of the original paint, possibly all of it. If you paint over previous coats that are too thick you will have fitting issues during reassembly and an odd appearance. Don't worry thou, reel manufacturers don't use alot of paint, just high quailty paint. Start out with about 600-800 grit until you see the color coat appear (unless the mfg. used single stage paint) on the paper, than use 1000 grit and finally 1200 grit. If you go any finer the paint will have trouble adhering. Take your time and be carefull of the edges, don't want to round the edges of the sideplates. Use deliberate single motion strokes for most of the sanding especially EDGES!! Good luck! feel free to ask more questions, I'm here for ya!