Casting hollow frogs - Magforce "Z" or "V" ???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Casting hollow frogs - Magforce "Z" or "V" ???

Post by bladerunner » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:08 am

Which braking system is best suited to throwing hollow bodied frogs like Ish' Phat Frog the farthest? Far is the operative word here. My current baitcaster is an old Abu with a plain magnetic brake and I hate the distance I'm getting. Need to upgade but not more than $200.00. I really want to move to a Daiwa. So.... "Z" or "V" - I'm only interested in distance - overruns I can control by feathering if need be. - Thanks.
P.S. I've read all the threads discussing the difference between the two but I'm still unclear. Hollow body frogs are NOT light lures by any means - but their big hollow profile gives them the aerodynamics of a kite ...

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Casting hollow frogs - Magforce "Z" or "V" ???

Post by Eric Walsh » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:11 am

I've found that rods are especially crucial for proper distance and accuracy when casting hollow frogs,
softer tips help with both distance and placement. I throw a stock Fuego (mag Z) with 50# braid and
it's great for distance, any further on a cast and the fish is going to win the battle. :shock:

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:06 am

"Z" or "V" is not only the type of brake but it also indicates the type of spool, Z in U shape spools, V in V shape spools, normally V shape spools have less line capacity than U spools and in a technique like frogging specially in vegetation like pads where you are going to use heavier line it will mean that your reel will hold less heavy line if it is a V spool. So, if it were me I would go for a Z instead of a V.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Flat spool - Mag Z.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:35 pm

I like to get my frogs out there. I tend to throw only Spro original and jr's. I like my Zillion for frog fishing and it has the Mag Z system. It allows the spool to reach its maximum speed therefore spinning longer and achieving more distance on your cast. However with the Mag V system like in my TD-X 103HSDF I can cast a frog pretty far with that reel also. IMO you get better distance on Mag Z but if you aren't casting a great distance then the Mag V is a solid pick. Try using the same rod, line, and lure and just switching the reels and see what you like better.

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:46 pm

I cast frogs with my Zillion 50th with the Mag-Z brake system with ease. The big difference that I noticed between the two is that the Mag-V brake system allows me to cast lighter baits with ease. With the way the spool is designed for the Mag-V, the line comes off the spool alot faster than with the Mag-Z.