Patriarch XT and Revo Premier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Patriarch XT and Revo Premier

Post by Scorpio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:58 am

Anyone that owns both, is there any performance difference between the two? I know that the Patriarch drag is rated at 20#, but is it exactly the same drag as is in the Premier? IS the 20# drag force value legit? If you had to buy another (either a Revo Premier or XT) considering the price difference, which would you buy? Thanks

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Patriarch XT and Revo Premier

Post by Mr SwimJig » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:29 pm

I would go with the Premier. I have both of these reels and both perform flawlessly. But I feel that the bearings are better in the Premier and I also like the bigger spool in the Premier as well as the 2 extra magnets in the Premiers magnetic braking system. But you cannot go wrong with either one.

SJ

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:49 pm

I am partial to Revos o I would say Premier. Patriarch XT is nice, but you can find the Premiers on Ebay for around $200-220, "buy it now"!! price and they are the newer models New In Box!!

****Edited by Moderator****

Kayac Pescador
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Kayac Pescador » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:02 am

I agree with Jonahsdad.

***Edited By Moderator****

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:42 am

Being an owner of the Patriarch XT, I feel that I give up nothing to the Revo Premier. I have used both on the same rod, and I would not hesitate on purchasing another XT. I think in the reel (ha ha) world a person would be hard pressed to see a big difference in these reels.

On that note, the fishing I do the shallower spool works better for me, plus I like fact that the XT came with a carbon fiber handle (one less thing to purchase down the road). I do not thing a person can go wrong with either of these reels.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:34 am

Do either or both have bearings in the knobs??
Instagram @___bradb

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:37 am

Scorpio, I'll add some more input on these reels since I've added a few more hours with the XT. I'll start by saying I enjoy the XT more than the Premier. I haven't done a side by side comparison but the XT is definitely easier to palm than the Premier. It seems smaller but I feel as though that reel has a smaller side than the Premier. The Premier also palms well but for smaller hands, the XT will definitely palm better. I also like the handle on the XT better than the Premier's. Not because it is carbon fiber but because I enjoy longer and straight handles like on the Curado 200e's. I'll also say that the drag on both reels are sufficient enough for bass fishing and I highly doubt drag should be a concern for you at 20 lbs. Even if its not 20lbs of pressure, I'm sure it will still be strong. I use my Scorpion 1000 which has about 6 lbs of pressure and it does the job just fine. I did fish with the XT today and caught about 5 bass that took the drag. It was smooth and consistant, no jerky drag or lockdowns. An upgrade to carbontex will make it smoother though.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:46 am

I also wanted to say if you were using bigger line, go with the Premier and smaller line with the XT. I use 17lb on the Premier and 12lb on the XT. That way, I get 100 yards of line on each. That also means you can spool twice on fluoro since most come with 200 yards on a filler spool (unless you're getting premium lines like Toray Superhard).

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks to all who responded. Great information.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Fished one of my 2 Patriarch XT's 2day, and it is SWEET!

You guys gotta do some better shopping on prices! :lol:

I got one NIB XT for $152.50 shipped, and the other like new for $132.50 shipped :big grin (both on Ebay, months ago):

NEVER PAY RETAIL!!! [-X

The XT is as smooth as any reel I've ever used (compared to TDZ's, Steez's, Alphas, Zillions, etc...) and casting performance was awsome!
Love the external brakes, and had no problem with any backlash at all, and we had 20mph winds most of the day!

Also, I gave it's drag a hek of a test! Caught a 15+ lb catfish, fishing a KVD Squarebill (YES it was a chart/black back color! :lol: ) and the drag is the smoothest stock drag I ever felt on a reel! No jerky-jerk at all, it pulled VERY smooth & consistant! AWSOME drag performance!

JMHO :big grin:

VERY impressed on it's virgin outing! =D>