Dual Braking Reels??

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dual Braking Reels??

Post by Basswrangler » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:23 pm

The ice around here is starting to melt, at least in the rivers, and its been nice the last few days so I got a chance to give my new revo premier a try. I started out using a 1/2 oz lipless crankbait for easy casting and played with the brakes from there.

My findings are that either 2 pins centrifugal and zero mag brakes, or 1/2 mag brakes and zero centrifugal cast well. My question regards when and why are you all using mag brakes vs. centrifugal or better yet what combo? what are the advantages of each style brake?

I was very impressed with the revos performance, just wondering on the braking setup.

baoxlaox81
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dual Braking Reels??

Post by baoxlaox81 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:29 pm

centrifugal brakes work at the beginning of the cast, and magnetic brakes at the end of the cast.

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:23 pm

I set mine with allmost enough centrifugal brake and fine tune with the external mag brake. Very good reel.

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:22 am

For me, it was two pins on the centrifugal and zero magnetic most of the time. The only time I really messed with the mag braking was on windy days...and even then, I rarely set it higher than 2 or 3. At first I really liked the idea of dual braking, but the more I used it, the less impressed I became. I would really much rather have a lighter reel with just centrifugal braking.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:49 am

2 centrifugal brakes, cast control knob for secondary settings, mag brake for fine tuning. Unless I'm pitchin/flippin: no centrifugal brake, cast control knob for primary setting, mag brake for fine tuning.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:24 am

I will usually set my centrifugal brakes to 2 on (sometimes 3 on specific BPS reels) and then fine tune with the magnetic brakes (usually around 1-3). I like the dual braking as it really allows me to dial in the reel for effortless casting.

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:41 am

Once you get used to using dual braking its hard to imagine not having it. It is very adjustable. I especially like it on windy days. Click the mag brakes up a few notches and keep on casting.

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:42 am

Not a big fan of the dual breaking. It just makes it confusing. Like u i wonder when to use each one. Finally i decided i like centrifugal weights better (i mostly use Shimanos) so i just set 2 cent. breaks and use the spool tension for fine tuning just like my other reels. If u like mag breaks then turn the cent. off and use the mag ones. There might be some very small advantage to tweaking both, but the time involved is just not worth for me.

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Madbasser wrote:Not a big fan of the dual breaking.
x2

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:42 pm

The dual brake system is extremely simple. First set the spool tension so the cast control knob is barely touching or or one click less and forget about it. Next set the number of centrifugal brakes at a point where you allmost have enough control (with mag backed off), and finally fine tune your control with the easy to use external mag brake. I would much rather use a brake that does not put tension on the spool and that's the beauty of the dual brake system, along with the fact that it is infinitly adjustable. I use my reels to throw very light jigs in very windy conditions with 2 to 6 lb test line and I love the versatility of this braking system. We have some really good fishing tackle available, something that will please all of us, and it's only getting better!!!

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Jighead61 wrote:
Madbasser wrote:Not a big fan of the dual breaking.
x2
x3
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:05 am

Not a big fan of dual brakes either. But I do have a couple. I find the brakes do actually work better on the more expensive of the two reel. I keep the centrifugals on 2 and the mag brakes range from 1.5-3 depending on conditions. On the cheaper reel, I use 2-3 cent brakes and keep the mag at about 4-6 depending on conditions and what the centrifugals are set to.

That said, I don't like to just use one or the other, kinda defeats the purpose of dual brakes... Also, I don't like centrifugal brakes as much, and I don't care for the mag brakes alone on most dual brake reels. Daiwa's mag brakes are by far my favorite; over other mag brakes, centrifugal brakes, and even dual.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:57 am

I love Dual Brakes, I set the C/brakes on 2, my cast control knob is set very very loose, and my Mag brakes I will set on maybe 1-2 and if I need more brakes turn up the mag brakes that is on the side of reel. I have alot of Dawia reels, type R, Steez, and the DUAL BRAKING system is the best !!!!!!!!!
I have 6 pins C/ brakes and 10 settings on the Mag brakes, that gives me the option to very fine tune for any bait weight or wind condition.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:11 am

I have some older, cheaper DBS reels that are not that impressive, and can be fussy to set. But the higher end stuff, like the Premier's and my Johnny Morris Gold have very good systems. If you haven't tried a good DBS system, I can understand the dislike.

On the Premier's, I usually run 1 or 2 on the cent brakes, depending on lure size and rod. Then I'll run anywhere from 1/8 to 2/3 on the mag brake, depending on wind. Very easy to tune it for any conditions or lures.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:09 am

Technically...Mag Z and Mag V are "dual" braking systems because they employ centrifugally driven parts with magnetic braking eddy currents. ;)

I liked the DBS in a Pro Qualifier I had. I liked it a lot. It was easy to cast into the wind, that's for sure.