reel oil recommendation

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: reel oil recommendation

Post by DrPerf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:36 am

RWSCHMITZ wrote:
DrPerf wrote:Changed from Hot Sauce to Oust Met Oil in ABEC #7 or #9 spool bearings.
Definitely superior performance.

Doc
Yes Oust is faster then Hot Sauce but it will only last fishing 8 hour days maybe 1-2 days max, where H/S will last the week of fishing 8 hours a day. Plus H/S will keep the ceramic bearings a little smoother with less noise.
If the purpose of upgrading to ABEC #7 or #9 spool bearing is better performance, it is inconsistent to use an oil than lessens that performance. Adding a drop of Oust every other outing or so, is not a major task.

As far as smoother and less noise when using Hot Sauce, that is not my experience when making the switch from Hot Sauce to Oust.

Doc

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:34 am

DrPerf wrote:
RWSCHMITZ wrote:
DrPerf wrote:Changed from Hot Sauce to Oust Met Oil in ABEC #7 or #9 spool bearings.
Definitely superior performance.

Doc
Yes Oust is faster then Hot Sauce but it will only last fishing 8 hour days maybe 1-2 days max, where H/S will last the week of fishing 8 hours a day. Plus H/S will keep the ceramic bearings a little smoother with less noise.
If the purpose of upgrading to ABEC #7 or #9 spool bearing is better performance, it is inconsistent to use an oil than lessens that performance. Adding a drop of Oust every other outing or so, is not a major task.

As far as smoother and less noise when using Hot Sauce, that is not my experience when making the switch from Hot Sauce to Oust.

Doc
I have all SHIMANO DC reels and to get to the one spool bearing U have to remove the computer from the frame to get to one of the spool bearings, not a one min job. I have been using TSI 301 and this stuff will last for a good month and is as fast as Oust. U should give it a try and won't have to reoil every 2-3 days.
Attachments
TSI-containers%20bw%20-%20SMALL.jpg
TSI-containers%20bw%20-%20SMALL.jpg (22.04 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:47 am

I have Shimano DC reels also and agree it is more of a 'chore' to relube that particular bearing, especially getting the bearing retainer back in ](*,).

Thanks for the recommendation and I will check out the TSI 301.

Regards,

Doc

shakeyleftarm
Angler
Angler

Post by shakeyleftarm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 pm

I use MIL-COMM/BPS Reel Saver, both the oil & grease on my Shimanos. I also use the Shimano drag grease. Have used MIL-COMM products on all my firearms and have never had a problem due to lubrication.
If I can't catch it, it isn't worth catchin'