$300

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: $300

Post by DavidSA » Sat May 07, 2011 10:32 am

I'm partial to shimano product but I enjoy both my 2008 and 2010 premiers.

My decision to purchase the 2010 premiers over the D7 was based on 4 reasons

1- I did not want more 7:1 reels. I have enough of those with my tuned E7's
2- Line capacity to let me throw 20# FC
3- Preferred Premier profile and weight
4- The Premeir is less money and had an incredible sunglass offer when I purchased.

The 2008 Premiers cast very well and very long. They lack drag power. They pitch light lures poorly. The 2010 fixes the drag and pitching problem. Buzzbaits I find even the new premier struggles with but I have E7's for that duty. Overall, I'm very pleased with all my premiers.

If I were buying a reel just to pitch light plastis, the D7 would have gottem my attention more strongly.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: $300

Post by Pen3 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:06 pm

I got a few Premieres '09 and '10 and i have not touch them at all last year and probably wont this year either. I got so many Daiwas and Shimanos that i sometimes forgot i even owned any Abus lol. I have my reels setup for specific technique and weight and it seems like Premiere is trying to be an all rounder which is not my style. I also think the 20lb drag is overrated when you can get carbontex for just about any reel and i have no use for 20Lb either. I have no problem fighting Muskie in MN with my 201DC and weak drag power and i prefer torque over drag power. Crazy Cranker with 100mm I'ze handle is my cheap mans torque LP reel.