Reeling Demographics... are you a righty or lefty

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Speaking of casting reels only... do you reel with your right or left hand?

I reel with my right hand
43%
I reel with my left hand
57%

Total votes: 1048

jpav121
Angler
Angler

Re: Reeling Demographics... are you a righty or lefty

Post by jpav121 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:18 pm

Right handed and reel with my right. If I ever feel like it's costing me fish, I'll make the switch. So far, that hasn't been the case.
Trick 'em & stick 'em

Backbay
Angler
Angler

Post by Backbay » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:54 am

150 is starting to be a fairly decent sample size. I have to say I'm very surprised there are so many lefties!

mobassman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobassman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Right handed, use left handed reels. Makes so much more sense to use left hand reels if you have a dominate right hand.
"Fishin ain't catchin"

Backbay
Angler
Angler

Post by Backbay » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:08 pm

mobassman wrote:Right handed, use left handed reels. Makes so much more sense to use left hand reels if you have a dominate right hand.
mobassman,what you say is true, but not always the case, otherwise, it would be hard to get right-handed reels! :)
For me, I always used my left hand to retrieve, it's the way I started, but it would take me a long time to be able to impart the action on baits that with my non-dominant hand.
Better stop now, before I make myself any more of a target :lol:

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:08 am

Toadslayer72 wrote:
brokeneye wrote:dominant left.
reel right.
Same here.

doublest
Angler
Angler

Post by doublest » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:10 am

Bat right throw right reel left both spinning and B/C

Jesse Gallup
Angler
Angler

Post by Jesse Gallup » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:22 pm

I am a Lefty but reel with my right hand

FishBrasil
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FishBrasil » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 am

I am right-handed which is why I feel better reeling lefty, since I have better control of the rod with my right hand. Reeling is pretty simple, I can handle that just fine with my left hand, but all the rod manipulation requires more dexterity, which is in my right hand. All my reels are leftie, BC and spinning.

-kirk

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:44 pm

the result is simply amazing n shocking at the same time

i've always thought why the heck lefties are so hard to find, n always blame the americans for being mostly prefer right hand therefore their lion share on the market actually make the production of righties the priority

however this perception was changed right here... now it's really time tat the manufacturers get out of their dinosaur mentality and actually be unbias in their production rather than just being pure lost in the Jurassic. I wonder wat their sales management actually thinking, fire those dinosaurs!

eyeguy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by eyeguy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:55 pm

I am left dominant. Yet, I reel with my right and cast with my right too.

RStien321
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RStien321 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:20 am

Ginson wrote:the result is simply amazing n shocking at the same time

i've always thought why the heck lefties are so hard to find, n always blame the americans for being mostly prefer right hand therefore their lion share on the market actually make the production of righties the priority

however this perception was changed right here... now it's really time tat the manufacturers get out of their dinosaur mentality and actually be unbias in their production rather than just being pure lost in the Jurassic. I wonder wat their sales management actually thinking, fire those dinosaurs!
If you don't think reel manufacturers study the sales data of their products, perform market studies to determine what their customers want, and then determine the feasibility/profitability of the requests then you are very mistaken. They do, and the reel (pun intended) data doesn't lie.

This is a poll on a forum of a very unique subset of anglers. Also, the poll is optional, not a random sampling. What subset of anglers has a vested interest in reel demographics? Yep, the lefties. There are options not available in left hand retrieve that they would like. What interest does a righthand retrieve angler have in reel demographics? Likely very little, they already have all the reel options available. Likely, the poll is just a typical example of the loud minority making their opinion known and the quiet majority remaining silent. The poll is interesting, but in no way can it be considered an accurate assessment of the reel demographics of TackleTour members, let alone the entire population of anglers.

Now, could it be possible that the majority of TackleTour members actually do prefer lefthand retrieve? Yes, it is. Is it likely? I would venture to say no.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:31 am

RStien321 wrote:This is a poll on a forum of a very unique subset of anglers. Also, the poll is optional, not a random sampling. What subset of anglers has a vested interest in reel demographics? Yep, the lefties. There are options not available in left hand retrieve that they would like. What interest does a righthand retrieve angler have in reel demographics? Likely very little, they already have all the reel options available. Likely, the poll is just a typical example of the loud minority making their opinion known and the quiet majority remaining silent. The poll is interesting, but in no way can it be considered an accurate assessment of the reel demographics of TackleTour members, let alone the entire population of anglers.
Stop being so logical...you're sucking all the joy out of the room.

:big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

RStien321
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RStien321 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:46 am

mhood wrote: Stop being so logical...you're sucking all the joy out of the room.

Haha, my apologies!!! :-#

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:24 pm

RStien321 wrote:
mhood wrote: Stop being so logical...you're sucking all the joy out of the room.

Haha, my apologies!!! :-#
=))))
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:59 am

I use a baitcaster with my right and spinning with my left. I have a lefty baitcaster for pitching and flipping, but seldom use it now that I can pitch left handed. Really shocking how many lefties are out there. I would have thought right handers would have been a landslide