Reeling Demographics... are you a righty or lefty

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Speaking of casting reels only... do you reel with your right or left hand?

I reel with my right hand
43%
I reel with my left hand
57%

Total votes: 1048

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Reeling Demographics... are you a righty or lefty

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:38 am

I'm right handed and reel left. I like my rod to be in my strong arm for more coordination and I hate switching hands after casting to reel.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:43 am

Part of the reason is that lefties are much more used to using their non-dominant right hand since so many devices require use of the right hand. But I’m also a leftie and learned to fish with a right-hand baitcast reel. It was so natural I couldn’t understand why right-hand baitcast reels, which nearly everyone was using, seemed designed for a lefty.

I also can’t imagine using my non-dominant right hand and arm to control the rod. It’s always seemed to me it would be as awkward as hitting ground balls while holding the baseball bat with the non-dominant hand.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:48 am

I feel my right hand is stronger for fighting fish and more accurate for flipping. I also think it feels bites better. I don't like swapping hands, it doesn't make sense to me. I have been on fish that hit right when a lure hit the water and miss because of swapping. Fortunately, I can switch reel. I was first taught the right handed way, but learned to fish left handed when I started fishing the saltwater flats. Many times your drifting out there and can get slack very quickly. I was missing a lot of fish that hit as soon as my bait hit or on the first movement. I realized it was do to the slap and line stretch. So I swapped and love it.

amishfury
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by amishfury » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:54 am

right for casting left for spinning

it's how i learned with each type so it's natural for me

and the casting regardless of reel type is always done with the right hand

k3fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by k3fishing » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:13 am

This is a funny subject to me. I'm left handed, cast with my left hand reel with my right, and the baitcasting reel i use is considered right-handed. But if you take a spinning reel and put the handle on the right its considered left-handed. Never made sense to me.

bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradjames12 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:46 pm

Baitcast I am a righty
Spinning I am a leftie

thaos95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by thaos95 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:52 am

Righted handed. Reel on right for baitcasters.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:55 pm

k3fishing wrote:This is a funny subject to me. I'm left handed, cast with my left hand reel with my right, and the baitcasting reel i use is considered right-handed. But if you take a spinning reel and put the handle on the right its considered left-handed. Never made sense to me.

Not unless you are fishing with the spinning reel on top of your rod. :shock: If the handle is on the right hand side then you use your right hand to wind and the reel is right handed.

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:50 am

amishfury wrote:right for casting left for spinning

it's how i learned with each type so it's natural for me

and the casting regardless of reel type is always done with the right hand
Same for me. I have no problems switching hands with casting gear.

Roadblock
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Roadblock » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:34 am

Right handed user checking in. I've just purchased my first couple Baitcasters over the past two months. I have a Shimano Curado 200I (right) and a Shimano Curado 201I (left), basically I wanted to try both.

I came over from a 1985 Shimano TX-110Q spinning reel. My father bought two of them for us new back in 1985. I still have both of them and they still work GREAT!

I've only ever used right hand spinning reels so to me a right hand baitcaster seems wrong BUT I definitely have a more positive crank using my right hand. Only issue is that I can't pop and snap my baits with my left hand, plus switching the rod to my left hand after casting sucks. I've just got no control over my rod when I hold it in my left hand.

On the 201I (lefty reel) since I'm holding the rod in my right hand, number one I don't have to switch hands and number two, I have GREAT rod control. Cranking is another matter though. I SUCK at cranking a left handed baitcaster. Plus my wrist starts to give me fits after a while. I wonder if a longer crank such as the Hawgtech's would help?

If it wasn't for the wrist issues, I might be convinced left is the proper way to go for a right handed spinning reel user.

Still haven't 100% decided but I think I do prefer rod control over cranking ability so for right now I'm going to say I prefer left handed baitcasters!

Also after speaking with ALL of my fishing friends who grew up on right handed spinning reels, they all prefer left handed baitcasters too. I would think the fishing industry would completely get this from a production stand point.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm righty but use lefty reels because I don't want to switch hands after casting and I'd rather use my dominant hand to work the rod and feel for bites. I think the new generation of anglers who switch to casting gear should consider going lefty.

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:43 am

I want the rod to always stay in my casting hand- the right hand. So left hand retrieving is an automatic.
Last edited by Cagey on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:19 am

Cagey wrote:If you are going to learn to fish, then just do it right! Simple as that. Pro's should know better.
The rod switch usually happens before the lure hits the water. I fully expect Kevin VanDam would tell you that there's no "right" way to do it. :lol:

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cagey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:40 am

Hmmm... I will have to watch and see that timing for myself. If he is switching hands during the cast then that would tend to alter the cast in my opinion.
Last edited by Cagey on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:28 am

Cagey wrote:But I will say this... I do consider casting with one hand and then switching the rod to the other to retrieve as a mistake- as something that should not be done and I can not alter this opinion of that action.
Quick question: Do you palm your reel or not change the grip from your casting grip to your reeling grip? If you do (like most I would suspect) change your grip, is that motion any faster than when Kevin VanDam switches hands? Is it as fast?