Reeling Demographics... are you a righty or lefty

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Speaking of casting reels only... do you reel with your right or left hand?

I reel with my right hand
43%
I reel with my left hand
57%

Total votes: 1048

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reeling Demographics... are you a righty or lefty

Post by Lafayette » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:49 am

I have the impression shimano propose all or almost all its casting reels in left retrieve, no?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:25 am

Lafayette wrote:I have the impression shimano propose all or almost all its casting reels in left retrieve, no?
Off the top of my head, the 14 Conquest and the 12 Antares offer a 5.x ratio in left.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 am

Lafayette wrote:I have the impression shimano propose all or almost all its casting reels in left retrieve, no?
no.

unfortunately not.

in fact its rare for any shimano release to contain a full line of left handed reels.
1-2%

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:34 pm

It is not my impression but it is probably because I live in France where 95% of anglers use left hand reel baitcasters.

Maybe shimano don t release the left hand models in the Us because most of american anglers are supposed to prefer right hand retrieve.

Tom G
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Tom G » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:59 am

Left handed, but all my reels are rightys. Spinning reels, too. It just is more comfortable.

Lefty3244
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lefty3244 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:58 am

Baitcast and spinning I throw left and reel right. Fly rod I throw right and reel left. Makes no sense to me either but just feels right.

Hanover
Angler
Angler

Post by Hanover » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Right handed

Reel in left hand. Rod in right.

For spinning, bait cast, and fly fishing.

Strange that I can't do anything else that requires coordination with my left hand worth a darn.......

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Wed May 03, 2017 2:12 am

Right hand looks like that's in the miniority

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Sat May 13, 2017 1:11 am

Right handed,all of my reels are right handed,I'm just to old to learn to reel left handed even though it seems more efficent,and not to mention having to replacing all my right handed reels that woul be a daunting task.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm fishing with both hands.. Maybe a little bit more comfortable keep the rod in right hand,but when "fish on",doesn't matter :mrgreen:

IL Basser
Angler
Angler

Post by IL Basser » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:10 am

Well my experiances has been that i fish with my spinning reels retrieving with my left hand. After buying some expensive baitcasters in right hand retrieve, I decided to try a cheap left hand to see if I liked it.......... I now am on my last Quantum Exo PT im trying to trade for a left hand retrieve because it has been much much better over all control.

Lefty for life now.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 pm

IL Basser wrote:Well my experiances has been that i fish with my spinning reels retrieving with my left hand. After buying some expensive baitcasters in right hand retrieve, I decided to try a cheap left hand to see if I liked it.......... I now am on my last Quantum Exo PT im trying to trade for a left hand retrieve because it has been much much better over all control.

Lefty for life now.
If you're really want it,you can do! Of course,it's not easy and feel like you learn to walk again :) ...But it's good for long time fishing.-you can change hand when tired,and don't need to looking just left-hand reel :mrgreen:
Take to fishing only right-hand reel,and at the end of day you will see!

IL Basser
Angler
Angler

Post by IL Basser » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:32 pm

fffishing wrote:
IL Basser wrote:Well my experiances has been that i fish with my spinning reels retrieving with my left hand. After buying some expensive baitcasters in right hand retrieve, I decided to try a cheap left hand to see if I liked it.......... I now am on my last Quantum Exo PT im trying to trade for a left hand retrieve because it has been much much better over all control.

Lefty for life now.
If you're really want it,you can do! Of course,it's not easy and feel like you learn to walk again :) ...But it's good for long time fishing.-you can change hand when tired,and don't need to looking just left-hand reel :mrgreen:
Take to fishing only right-hand reel,and at the end of day you will see!
I did that to day at the Mazonia Lakes today but I just cant get action right on my lures with my left hand as good. I love the reel and can cast very accurately but i just cant stand it! lol. Also fishing went horrible today for everyone on the lakes we hit. Not one person came off the lake with any keepers or well enough to justify keeping the couple they did. water was almost 90 degrees and clear water down to about 20 ft. Cats were out sun bathing and fun to watch but they were even eating.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:04 pm

I had same problem at beginning ,it was hard to give a right play to jerks :doh: ,but I didn't quit... slowly ,day after day...It's start working! Of course, animation with right is better! But now I can fishing righthand reel too and I see,where to move my education! It's like when you learn foreign language ,-start with little,and go more and more after.
Don't quit! You'll see the different!
Good luck! :)

swoffer
Angler
Angler

Post by swoffer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:58 pm

largely ambidextrous