Reeling Demographics... are you a righty or lefty

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Speaking of casting reels only... do you reel with your right or left hand?

I reel with my right hand
43%
I reel with my left hand
57%

Total votes: 1048

Meleagris1
Angler
Angler

Re: Reeling Demographics... are you a righty or lefty

Post by Meleagris1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 am

I'm right handed

Baitcaster - righty
Spinning - lefty

I worked on using left handed bait casters for a couple years, I can do it - but I don't like it. The problem isn't my reeling, its my inability to give an eye crossing hookset with my right hand (despite the fact that I can do it with a spinning rod). I switch hands when pitching. A tons of Pros do as well, including KVD, so although this isn't how I would start someone out, at least I know I'm in good company. :mrgreen:

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:08 am

Baitcast right and spinning left. Doesnt feel right when you try to switch hands for the reel you are comfortable with that hand.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:36 am

for those who are right handed, and reel their BC with their right hand, do you cast with your left arm, or do you cast with your right arm, and do the "hand switch"?

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:41 pm

I am right handed and cast with the right. I reel both BC and Spinning with my right. I cast and do the "hand switch" in one fluid motion as I am bringing the rod back down to the retrieve position. Don't feel it disadvantages me at all. Been fishing this way for 40 years. Made one or two attempts to change retrieve hands but it just don't feel right. :lol:

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:53 am

you get used to it...just have to keep at it. when my father and I, who both are right handed, reeling with our left hands (as we cast with our right arms), started fishing great lakes fish (trout, salmon, etc), we noticed all the trolling reels were right handed only. as such we had no choice to learn to reel with our "opposite hand"....

it took less than one full season to get used to it....but that's because we didn't have reels to go "back to"....now, 10 years later, all my friends who fish with me are all fluid with both reeling with our right hands and our left hands...once you have that down, the ability to reel with both hands, it becomes most natural to cast with one arm and reel with the other hand...so you don't have to change hands after a cast....

in theory, as we call all reel with our right hands, we all could purchase right handed BC reels, cast with our right, do the switch, and reel with our right...just like we do with our open water great lakes fishing....but not one of us do.....we all cast with our right arms and reel with our left hand....all but one friend, who is a lefty, and casts with his left arm, reeling with his right hand....

that's how I figured all folks who reel with their right hands would do it....cast with your left arm and reel with your right hand....

when i started seeing all the guys who 'change' hands, i was surprised....but that is changing...you mentioned you have been doing it for 40 years...that's common....most of the folks i know that do the 'switch' have been reeling with their right hands for 30-40 years....
Last edited by SteveSchmelzle on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

G3Steve
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by G3Steve » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:16 pm

The results are surprising..

I'm one of the right handers who reels left, solely for the fact that I grew up fishing with spinning reels. It just feels more comfortable to manipulate the rod and play the fish with my strong arm.

fletch616
Angler
Angler

Post by fletch616 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:59 pm

For some strange reason Im righty with baitcasters and lefty with spinning

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:42 am

I want a poll asking how many people switch hands to cast the rod. Is it comfortable doing that all of the time?

bradkoll
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bradkoll » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm right handed and reel with the left. It straight up feels weird trying to work a bait with your left hand. Usually means I have to wait a year from the original introduction of a reel before they are offered in left hand retrieve...

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm right handed and reel with my left hand... seemed to be a natural transition to use a left handed baitcaster after years of using turning spinning reels with the left hand. For the heck of it, I tried to use a right handed baitcaster, but it felt so un-natural casting with the right hand and then switching hands, and managing the rod with the left hand.

t-Smalle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by t-Smalle » Sun May 11, 2014 1:56 am

I have reeled with both my left and right hand and just prefer reeling with my right hand.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:34 am

Ever wonder why right-hand baitcast reels have handles on the right side? The very first baitcast reels were held like a spinning reel, upside down, while fishing. The rod handles did not have a trigger, and the gears were designed for left-hand cranking. But the reel had to be turned right-side up for casting. Since many anglers preferred having the reel right-side up, manufacturers reversed the gearing to afford right-handed cranking while the reel was in the up position. It has remained that way for around a century and a half.

So why didn't they at that time put the handle on the left side? The article I read said it was all an accident of history. "Stuff happens" was pretty much the only explanation.

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Mon May 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Never has made sense as to why you would cast and reel with the same arm all day....

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:09 pm

Righty but I wish I reeled lefty :/

Kam560
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Kam560 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:39 pm

I am left handed and for this reason i retrieve with my right hand. Its the perk for being a lefty :) . I don't understand why manufacturers make more reels that are easier to use for lefties when most costumers are right handed but i am not complaning :-k