Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which reel manufacturer is your favorite?

Daiwa
44%
Shimano
46%
Abu Garcia
3%
Quantum
1%
Pfleuger
0%
Ardent
No votes
Lew's
3%
Okuma
0%
Pinnacle
0%
Wright & McGill
No votes
US Reels
No votes
13 Fishing
3%

Total votes: 714

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:11 pm

Vladimir_Kazan wrote:Everyone loves fine wines and slender girls, but lives with a [...] woman and drinks vodka.
:lol: :laugh1:

Yes my fine friend, so true indeed[...]

Buck2thPerch wrote:The HEG System Gears just feel more solid and powerful than Daiwas (not that Daiwa don't have good gears systems) - but that is just be me.
HEG, or more accurately described, a larger main drive gear, is not a Shimano creation in FW bass reels...try Abu Morrum. Besides, have you actually studied how many reels today have "HEG"? :roll:

Too bad the site crashed or you may have been surprised with what I discovered during my side by side comparison of a both relatively new Daiwa BBS and a NIB Calcutta 100 TE GT. The Daiwa with it's lowly standard sized gearing, not only cranked in more IPTs than my Calcutta 100 TE GT, but provided more cranking power and equal smoothness. The only add on the BBS was a four bearing handle and an HLC spool with an Abec 5 ceramic bearing. Granted the BBS had a 90mm Bassart handle vs the standard handle on the Calcutta 100 TE GT...hmmmmm....there goes that theory on "HEG" supremacy, eh?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 pm

dragon1 wrote:HEG, or more accurately described, a larger main drive gear, is not a Shimano creation in FW bass reels...try Abu Morrum. Besides, have you actually studied how many reels today have "HEG"? :roll:

Too bad the site crashed or you may have been surprised with what I discovered during my side by side comparison of a both relatively new Daiwa BBS and a NIB Calcutta 100 TE GT. The Daiwa with it's lowly standard sized gearing, not only cranked in more IPTs than my Calcutta 100 TE GT, but provided more cranking power and equal smoothness. The only add on the BBS was a four bearing handle and an HLC spool with an Abec 5 ceramic bearing. Granted the BBS had a 90mm Bassart handle vs the standard handle on the Calcutta 100 TE GT...hmmmmm....there goes that theory on "HEG" supremacy, eh?
Bah! Shimano HEG System just feels more powerful. :mrgreen: Perhaps its because I own over half a dozen Curado 200E's and the oversized knobs vs my Fuego, TD-A HST, and 2 zillions and thier small knobs. What I just stated would be, perhaps, the same reason why the BBS with its 90mm handle feels more powerful? :-k I love my Daiwa's for finesse fishing with light or weightless rigs while anything else that is heavy and power fishing, I use my Curados. My Curado's are my main work horse reels.

But, wouldn't you for the sake of comparison...compare the Daiwa BBS to the Chronarch 100D5 or similar Shimano reel? vs to a the Calcutta TE 100? Low profile vs low profile? Also, the gear ratio on the BBS is 5:7:1 vs the TE 100 being 5:0:1, would make sense that the BBS does more line per IPT than the TE 100. Then again, perhaps it could just be me and my understanding of round reels vs low profile reels. It would be nice to see the threads pertaining to this comparison. That information woul help explain alot! But sadly they are gone now. :(

I think in the end, it all comes down to feel and just personal opinions. :lol:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Jokes aside, key word here 'baitcasting' (presents in my poll and absents in Cal's poll).
Well known that in US the bass anglers prefer Daiwa as spinning reel and Shimano as baitcasting reel, so... the comparison of these polls results shows only one thing: Daiwa spinning reels really are popular here.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:37 pm

I voted for Abu. That is what I use the majority of the time and my overall favorite.

Daiwa does have nice reels, but as already mentioned they seem to be lacking in the $200 and under range. I would love to own more and hope to pick up a Sol at some point this season but for the most part they are simply out of my price range.

Shimano has reels that perform well in almost every price range and I prefer the centrifugal braking. Unfortunately the two main <$200 reels (citica/curado) just do not fit my hands or really feel all that good IMO. I know they perform very well, but for lack of a better term they almost feel "cheap"/"plasticy". Before I get trampled by an angry horde of Shimano fans I know they are quality reels, but that is how they feel in my hands.

Which brings us to the Revos. IMO performance is on par with their respective Shimano models and you trade an oz or so in weight for a reel that feels more solid/sturdy. Hence my choice :D

rhlabs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rhlabs » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Having tried numerous brands of reels this spring, I choose Daiwa.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:But, wouldn't you for the sake of comparison...compare the Daiwa BBS to the Chronarch 100D5 or similar Shimano reel? vs to a the Calcutta TE 100? Low profile vs low profile? Also, the gear ratio on the BBS is 5:7:1 vs the TE 100 being 5:0:1, would make sense that the BBS does more line per IPT than the TE 100.

An all aluminum, cold forged, HEG, lower gear ratio round reel, with a shorter handle or not...should feel more powerful than a standard sized main gear, higher gear ratio, MG LP reel (whether this reel had a 90mm handle or not).

Just my take on it.

BTW, the IPT comparison is not only based upon gear ratio, but overall spool capacity. The BBS has a bigger/wider and deeper spool.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:47 am

Daiwa...
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:32 am

Don't you guys mean that I should whip out the math on the HEG vs other gear size again! That took a bit of checking my own math out over and over again to make sure I didn't goof it up. :big grin: In layman's term. The HEG does no more power when you have same gear ratio. Only means that there's less stress on the gears. Your hand cranking power is the same, equal power in = equal power out.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:13 am

Daiwa ftw! Simply put, they are tons more customizable than any other reels out there.. and they have the swept carbon handle that not even shimano can touch! Their innovations in reel technology; new certate with mag seal, and the new daiwa t3 is just ridiculous!

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Can't say I'm suprised by the results....I, of course, voted for Abu.

Jesse Gallup
Angler
Angler

Post by Jesse Gallup » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:20 pm

I have 8 Diawa but I do have 2 Chronarchs

Sonicx360
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sonicx360 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 am

Daiwa FTW!!

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 am

for this year, it's:
DAIWA
SHIMANO
PFLUEGER

And not necessarily in that order.

8-[

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:39 pm

overdose wrote:Daiwa ftw! Simply put, they are tons more customizable than any other reels out there.. and they have the swept carbon handle that not even shimano can touch! Their innovations in reel technology; new certate with mag seal, and the new daiwa t3 is just ridiculous!
well, so u meant all these lil innovation and tonnes of customizations tat cost more than a presentable abu or daiwa reel actually make ur casting better n fish better? :-k

hmmm... think i'm better off sticking to shimano for now

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:56 am

Ginson wrote:
overdose wrote:Daiwa ftw! Simply put, they are tons more customizable than any other reels out there.. and they have the swept carbon handle that not even shimano can touch! Their innovations in reel technology; new certate with mag seal, and the new daiwa t3 is just ridiculous!
well, so u meant all these lil innovation and tonnes of customizations tat cost more than a presentable abu or daiwa reel actually make ur casting better n fish better? :-k

hmmm... think i'm better off sticking to shimano for now
definately yes Ginson! when you customize/personalize your reels, there is a level of confidence in your gear that you cannot obtain with stock reels, simply put, you catch more fish because you'll use it more. you gain more distance casting, retrieval is smoother... there's just more pleasure in picking up a reel that you've tuned/modified... and daiwa just has more variety/options for customizing than any other reel make ;) don't worry... shimano follows close behind :big grin: as far as innovations go, they give us an edge. some might not make you become a better fisherman, but they can still be very benefical whether it's to help with durablitly/longetivity of the reel, farther casting... etc. bottome line... innovations will give you an advantage ;) with that being said... i go back to daiwa's mag seal on the certate and t-wing line guide from the t3 ftw!!! wo0t-wo0t!!!