How to set the Curado 200E7 Brake Settings

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
robosgonefishin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

How to set the Curado 200E7 Brake Settings

Post by robosgonefishin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Hello All,
I just bought a CU200E7 this is my first Shimano reel and I'm not sure how to set the brakes.
Basically I'll be using this reel for TX rigs\jigs in the 1/4 to 1/2oz range. Any suggestions on how to set the brakes?
Or is it going to be pretty much trial and error?

Thank You
Robo

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How to set the Curado 200E7 Brake Settings

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Take off the palming side plate, you should see six pins with a plastic shoe on each that can either be locked down or pushed up and moving freely.

Pushed down/not moving = off
Pushed up/free moving = on

Majority of people usually have 2 on. If you're not experienced with a BC maybe try 3 and go from there, but one of those should suit your needs.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 pm

If you do two pins, make them the ones that are opposite from each other. If you do three, then do every other one. Four should be the opposing pairs. In other words, don't use the pins only on one side. It throws off the balance.

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:13 pm

froteur wrote:If you do two pins, make them the ones that are opposite from each other. If you do three, then do every other one. Four should be the opposing pairs. In other words, don't use the pins only on one side. It throws off the balance.
In my experience and testing, this is purely myth. I was surprised, but it didn't matter if I used opposing brakes or not, same performance.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:51 pm

It's more mechanically sound to do opposite brake pegs. I've tried it myself and I didn't find any difference, I still backlash just as much. :big grin: I have also tried just one and five pegs on a few occassions.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:54 am

I typically use 1 brake on and fine tune with the cast control cap. Now that I've upgraded the bearings I may have to go back to 2 brakes:)

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:11 am

Even I tried it "off balance" and didn't feel any difference but I was told by my mechanical engineering professor buddy that it can't help but be, so I figured, why take any chances. :D He said that the weights are so light its not like it's going to make the reel vibrate out of your hand but it does affect it. So I'll stick to my method. :big grin:

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:37 am

skunked wrote:
froteur wrote:If you do two pins, make them the ones that are opposite from each other. If you do three, then do every other one. Four should be the opposing pairs. In other words, don't use the pins only on one side. It throws off the balance.
In my experience and testing, this is purely myth. I was surprised, but it didn't matter if I used opposing brakes or not, same performance.
Once you get used to it, one brake will get you very good distance. Start with three pins pushed out first.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

robosgonefishin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by robosgonefishin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate your help!

RobO

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:47 pm

I use every other one, thats 3 up..With a heavy wind and light bait, I'll use 4 up.I like to keep the spool tension knob sorta loose so there's no extra resistance on the retrieve.

revo680
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by revo680 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:24 am

I set 2 brakes on (across from each other) and forget about it. There are times when you can get away w/ 1 brake, but casting distance is plenty good w/ 2 brakes. Unless your lure weight change is substancial, usually you won't have to adjust the cast control too awfull much.

mustfishmore
Angler
Angler

Post by mustfishmore » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 am

I always set two pins that are opposite of each other and forget it. Then do any fine tuning that is necessary with the spool tension adjustment.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Mon May 02, 2011 9:20 pm

I know this is an older post but I do have a little input. I have been using a baitcaster for almost 30 years so I am pretty familiar with them. But I have found that two brakes on works great if you are make easy "normal" casts. But for me, I have to use three on because I really sling it when I make a cast. I need to learn to make easier casts and take advantage of the smoothness of the spool bearings and actually let the brakes do their job but I just can't do it. Old habits die hard. I can get away with two brakes on if the bait is pretty heavy, but to avoid the dreaded backlash, especially with fluorocarbon line, I have my Citicas and Curados set with three brakes on. So I guess it is not only the weight of the lure or wind conditions that dictate how many brakes you need, but also the way you cast. I am just hard headed or I would stop casting like a mad man. I guess I started casting this way back when my reels had bushings instead of bearings so I had to cast really hard to get the distance I wanted.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed May 04, 2011 5:26 am

I have that problem as well, since I'm a spinning reel guy. I get comfortable and forget. Then I sling harder and backlash. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Wed May 04, 2011 3:42 pm

I also set two brakes on. This covers most baits