Shimano Core Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Core Question

Post by bnl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:30 am

I am thinking of getting a Shimano Core 50MG for pitching 1/4 oz jig and other light plastics. It is going to be paired with a 7'2" Cumara MH.

Couple of questions, is this going to be an ok set up if I am planning on using 15lb fluorocarbon? Is the spool capacity too limited? If that is true, the Core 100MGFV only specs at 5 addtional yards in 12 lb test (85 vs 90), is that spool size really that much better?

Look forward to hearing peoples thoughts. And thanks for the help.

PESCATORE
Angler
Angler

Re: Shimano Core Question

Post by PESCATORE » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 am

I think your biggest issue would be the fact that the Core 50 is designed for a light tackle affair. The reel is extremely light and with the 7'2' Cumara, although the cumara is light, I think you would have a considerably unbalanced combo. Line capacity is as you mentioned, very limited. This reel is typically spooled with 8lb. or 10lb. test. Even the Core 100 was initially designed for the same purpose. If you really want to get the Core 50 I would pair that sucker up with the Cumulus CMLC65M which is just a perfect setup, or the Cumara CUCX68M which is also well balanced. The Curado 200E7/E5 would work well with the 7'2" Cumara, much heavier duty combo and significant increase in line capacity. Hope that helps!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:13 am

The Core 50 is a great match for your Cumara, though the CUCX72MH is pretty stiff for 1/4 oz stuff - the CUC72MH would be a better match IMHO for lighter baits around heavier cover. The Cores look and feel great paired up with the Cumaras. I have used 17lb FC on a Core 51 for pitching 3/8 oz jigs etc on a NRX 803 and it didn't present any line capacity issues. I also have a Core 51 with 12lb FC for making longer casts into open water with the NRX 893 - again, no line capacity issues. You will be fine with 15lb line for your intended purposes. By the way, I am a big fan of the 50 sized Core whereas I like the Chronarch D series better than the 100 sized Core.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bnl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 am

I would be pairing it with the CUC72MH, so that is good to hear that it might work well for the 1/4 oz setup and that 15 lb line probably won't be that big an issue. I do have a CUCX72MH that I have paired with 50th Anniv Zillion, which is used for my heavier pitching. Love those rods and part of the reason I want the Core is that it will look great paired with the Cumara, be a light weight setup and do the job (or at least that is what I was wondering)

As for not balancing well, I am not sure I notice that as much as a lot of people. Could be lack of experience with properly (or improperly) balanced setups. I wonder how much I will be able to tell if it doesn't balance well.

Thank you both for your informatived answers. I actually bought a Quantum Smoke and after considering it further, reading more reviews than I had and talking to several people, I am going to return it and probably get a Core. Seems like a better way to go.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:19 am

You can always use Spectra if line capacity is an issue. 30lb spectra with a small leader of 15# fluoro should get you 100 yards of line.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:31 am

have also pitched with 17# fc and cast with 12# yzh with no line cap. issues.

the core 50 is a stouter reel than some give them credit for...i much prefer it, as well, over the core 100 series.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

PESCATORE
Angler
Angler

Post by PESCATORE » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:50 pm

The Core 50 is an extremely robust reel, no doubt about that. My only concern for you is the balance and if you plan on using it for light baits. That rod has a great deal of stiffness. If you are using it for "power fishing" then it will absolutely help. Just wouldn't want a fellow angler getting a mismatched combo. Just try before you buy!

bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bnl » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks again for all the information, on spool capacity and the other info on the reel.

And thanks for the thoughts on balance for the setup. It is definitely something I am going to check out before purchasing.

Great info as usual on TT Forum.

bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bnl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 am

Reading the TT review of the Smoke led me to another question. The reviewer at the very end mentions "durability issues of magnesium". A quick search shows corrosion is possible on the reels. Has this been an issue for any Core owners? Is it only a saltwater/brackish water issue? Is there special care needed on these reels?

Just the possibilty of this has me reconsidering my purchase. Am I being overly cautious? I definitely need / want to hear more on this topic.

Thanks for the help.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 am

If you're fishing freshwater, you have nothing to worry about. Salt/brackish water and magnesium reels require more maintenance to prevent corrosion.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:09 am

the core 50 handles 15lbs fluro just fine I have mine on a NRX 854 .