What's the reel value?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's the reel value?

Post by njbasscat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:23 am

Daiwa Fuego. I am on my 6th season with both of mine and they are as smooth today as the day I purchased them. All I have done is change the spool bearings. They are magnesium and cost $229.00 (or less if you got one on sale). They are not my favorite reels in my lineup but proven themselves and were a great buy. You can also supertune them very easily.

gooter4
Angler
Angler

Post by gooter4 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Citica 200E hands down for me best bang for the buck. Picked a few up for $90 each on ebay. Nice reel out of the box but with a couple of simple inexpensive upgrades (spool bearings/driveshaft bearing) and you got one smooth fine casting machine. Second runner up would have to be the BPS PQX10 Pro Qualifier. If it’s good enough for Edwin Evers to use on the Bassmaster trail then that’s saying allot about the quality and performance of this reel.
JG

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:08 pm

My favorite bang for the buck reel is the BPS CarbonLite, currently on sale for $99, but could be had for $85 during the reel trade in. I've found them to be very durable and they cast a mile with a solid drag. My biggest complaint is the lack of gearing options and the color doesn't go with many rods, LOL. Where else can you find an all metal reel that weighs under 7 ozs and can be regularly found for $100 or less.

jcat
Angler
Angler

Post by jcat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:50 am

Daiwa tournament ss spinning reel. Model 1300 or 1600. Old style and design, but they can be had used and in good shape for 50-60 on ebay.
Good grief-----they are smooth and seem to last forever
Absolutely agree with the citica and curado being great values. I have an old citica from probably the 1980s and it is still a fine reel.
Don't forget the abu C3 series reels
Great subject

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 pm

aavery2 wrote:It is almost impossible to match the performance for price of the Shimano Citica E series. There is another reel that has in my opinion outstanding value for the dollar. The BPS Pro Qualifier can be found on sale a few different times of the year for $79 dollars. The PQ has dual breaking, is reasonably light, casts and retrieves smoothly and is built on an aluminum frame. It has also shown to have a reasonable amount of durability. These two reels are in my opinion worthy of this conversation.
With respect, I think the Pro Qualifier is an even better value than the Citica. No upgrades needed. I've got three of them now and I've probably caught a thousand fish each on the first two with zero problems. Folks have commented how the parts are interchangeable with the Revo but you can't get dual braking on the Revos for less than $200. For $79 bucks its a no brainer. The Citica's handle felt too flimsy for me.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:03 pm

If you have to pay retail, it's hard for me to suggest something other than the Shimano Citica E. It's a good buy at $120.

If you consider used, the Daiwa Fuego is an absolute steal. I paid retail for two Fuego and didn't feel like I was overpaying.