New Prolite Special at Bass Pro

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
gooter4
Angler
Angler

New Prolite Special at Bass Pro

Post by gooter4 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Got a chance to fondle a Prolite Special today. I was very disappointed in the overall craftsmanship of the reel. But I would say it is a pretty smooth reel for $49. Another flaw I discovered about the reel is the duel cast control the reel proclaims it has. Usually you can control most duel breaking systems by either sliding or clicking the centrifugal tabs or pins. Well the Prolite states on the operating manual that the internal brakes need no adjusting. Nowhere or how could I figure out how to adjust the internal breaks. It looks like the breaks are enclosed in some type of plastic ring. The Bass Pro employee also could not figure it out. Anyhow, it would seem that the main cast control would be the magnetic breaking system if you cannot adjust the internal breaks. Going to get at least one to play with. Hopefully they will perform as well as the Carbonlite. Time will tell.
JG

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Prolite Special at Bass Pro

Post by robertrinaustin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm afraid it won't be any where near as good as the Carbon Lite, but keep us posted. Most of the new Prolite seemed to be plastic.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:26 am

the doorbuster price will be $49 but did you see how much the regular price is?

i agree with the previous poster...it won't be as good as the carbonlite (or the prolite finesse for that matter). still, i'm curious for $49...

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:48 am

This prolite special doesn't have dual cast control, as the previous prolite finesse did. It's a special purchase item, and isn't very similar to the old one at all. The breaking system on this guy most closely resembles a daiwa reel, with a fixed inductor and a magnet inside. I'll take some pictures today and try to post them soon.

The reel does have a lot of plastic, and doesn't look super durable, but it is smooth. My main complaint is the "magforce" style break seems to always be engaged, even at the 0 setting, and this makes spool and sideplate removal a little tricky, and may or may not impede casting. It is super smooth, and I'm curios how they'll actually perform.

What do you expect for $49 though? I just wanna know if it'll handle the light stuff decently, and I might just find out today.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:05 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:...most closely resembles a daiwa reel, with a fixed inductor and a magnet inside. I'll take some pictures today and try to post them soon.
pictures would be great. can you also post some pics of the outside of reel from different angles? the one profile i've seen makes it look so similar to the daiwa sol that i'm led to believe it is a copycat design. and, now, you're reporting the braking mechanism is similar to daiwa's magforce so i'm even more curious.

also, how much did you pay for yours? i was under the impression that the prolite special was $49 only on march 12.

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:18 am

SInce when did the facelessnewsouth turn into the Uni-Bomber? :lol:

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:44 am

I would like to see some pictures also......... Thanks in advance.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:24 am

I didn't pay anything for mine, I don't have one...I work at the local BPS on weekends...sorry, no pictures, apparently the high lords of BPS frown upon paparazzi behind the reel counter...would have used my phone but use of a phone while on the clock is a fireable offense.

The profile is eerily similar to that of a Sol, and the reel may even be from a daiwa factory. Bottom line, if your looking for years of great quality, go with a more expensive reel. If you wanna try this out and have $50 to blow, you really can't go wrong. I've seen way worse reels sell for way more money.

All the BPS stores have them in stock. If you're a regular customer, ask to see one and the guys will probably let you take a look at it before the 12th.

Oh and one more thing, I don't know if it was the brake system or the shite bearings on the reel, but only 1/4 oz. and up baits went well.

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:53 am

Wow good info Face. I will definitely be picking one up just to check it out. What the hay, cant go wrong for $50.