Daiwa Fuego vs Abu Garcia Revo Premier ( Spinning)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Poll ended at Mon May 30, 2011 1:00 pm

Daiwa Fuego
72%
Abu Garcia Revo Premier
28%

Total votes: 25

Bass Oreno
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bass Oreno » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Daiwa TD A Fuego ( New one )
Abu Garcia Revo Premier

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Fuego vs Abu Garcia Revo Premier ( Spinning)

Post by BB144 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:27 pm

Earlier this year, I was deciding between a handful of spinning reels. These two were among my top 5 or 6, along with the Daiwa Sol, Pflueger Patriarch, Daiwa Certate, and Shimano Sustain.

The Fuego was actually one of my top two choices, but being higher than my budget, I couldn't get it. Either way, I got to play with all the reels on my list at BPS except the Sol since it's discontinued. The Fuego, Certate, and Sustain felt the best to me. The Patriarch and the Premier were similar to each other, and not too far behind the other three.

Weight wise, the Patriarch dominated at 5.6oz (for the 9525). The Revo and the Fuego both felt good with respect to weight as well. The Certate isn't as light as the others, but not as heavy as the Sustain, which was the block of lead for this group.

At the end of the day, my list looked something like this based on overall feel (excluding the Sol, and not taking budget into consideration):

Daiwa Fuego - I felt this reel was the best balance of weight and overall smoothness.
Daiwa Certate - While it was heavier than the Fuego, it felt just as nice or maybe better.
Pflueger Patriarch - Didn't quite feel as smooth and refined as the top 2, but made number 3 because of the weight.
Shimano Sustain and Revo Premier - The Premier is much lighter than the Sustain, but I felt the Sustain was smoother. Without considering budget, I'd have a hard time choosing on the weight vs feel of these two.

As I stated above, I did not get the Fuego because it was out of my budget, bumping it to last place (with the Sustain) in a more practical, budget oriented list. Anyways, a new Certate 2000 got a new home that night and I can't wait to get it out on the water for some early spring dropshotting!
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Bass Oreno
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bass Oreno » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Thank you BB144 , this is a very good answer !

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:53 pm

I wasnt all that impressed with the revo premier spinning. I was expecting it to be a bit lighter than it actually was and on the other hand it was not quite smooth or refined enough feeling to excuse the bit of extra weight. Sometimes the really light magnesium or carbon reels do not feel as smooth as some of the nice aluminum reels but i might be willing to sacrifice this for the weight concession. Just a matter of whats more important to you....however the revo premier excels in niether of these areas to me. It was a nice reel, no doubt, just not your best option in that price range. jmho. take care.

p.s. i have no experience with the fuego. wish i could be of more help there.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:18 am

My very first choice would of been a 2500 or 1000 Sustain but that being said I would vote for the Fuego, my second choice. The Fuego is one smooth reel.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:28 am

I really don't see the point of buying a Revo... I mean, it's mostly plastic, and not the lightest in it's price range?

The Daiwas' seem to be the smoothest because they have the lowest gear ratios... the Certate is so smooth that it does not even feel like you are fishing with a reel after a while, I'm not kidding. I don't know how the new Fuego compares, however, never tried that one.

I like the new Patriarch... I'm about to buy one... the lighter weight will make the whole rig lighter and more sensitive.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:24 pm

I voted Fuego but have never even held a premier.

I had the new Fuego 2000A out fishing a week ago for about a 6 day trip. I am not a fan of spinning reels period but I really like the Fuego. For me, this reel was the best choice other then the steez. It is light, silent, smooth and while small does not feel like a toy. The Stradic CI by comparison to me felt like a toy and had only one spool.

I used 15# braid with a 12# FC leader and threw senko's in and around the Florida nasty for the entire week.

If forced to point out an improvement area on this reel it would be line pickup speed. A few times I struggled to catch up with the fish. Likely I landed 50 fish on this reel during the week and I likely lost 1 because I could not keep up after I hooked her.

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:39 pm

Snyder Rods- im sure you will enjoy that patriarch....it's a really sharp looking reel thats super light and the sealed carbon fiber drag has turned out to be one of the smoothest drags ive used even though it doesnt have much max drag power (which is fair to expect cuz mine is the ul size 25). The max drag power on this reel was initially a concern for me when i first got it because it was obvious that other similiar sized reels i own have more max drag power than this one which pflueger reports at 8lbs (but i question this figure based on my non scientific comparisons). Regardless, i have since field tested this reel's drag (on a little winter trip to fla) and found the max drag to be more than suitable.....i guess i was just being a worry wart.....and more importantly i learned just how smooth and well functioning this drag actually is.

Which size are you looking to purchase?? My cousin has the size 35 and after playing with his for a min or two i realized that his seemed to be smoother than mine. Could this have anything to do with the size?? Any reason that a reel made of magnesium would become smoother at the larger sizes? Maybe it's just a thing of chance and he got lucky with a smoother one....who knows. Im still happy with mine though. Sorry everyone to get off track....sometimes i start rambling a bit. Have a good nite.