Stradic C14 question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hawk0694
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Stradic C14 question

Post by Hawk0694 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:22 pm

I am looking into this reel. Would I be better off going with the 1000 or the 1000FML model? I plan on using this reel to float a slip bobber on the river and catch mostly smallies but sometimes we get other species such as a sucker. I may use this to try out trout fishing as well. I plan on pairing it with a ultra light rod, probably a GLoomis. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated. Also if you have any rod suggestions please share those.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Stradic C14 question

Post by karirick » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:55 am

Hawk,
Go with the 1000 and buy an extra 1000fml spool for $35 from Shimano. I use this reel on the IMX SR842-2, but this past weekend I saw and handled the Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner 7'6". Amazing feeling and looking rod. Maybe the best looking I have ever seen. Only $99.00 too! Good luck.

Rick

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:25 am

Hawk- i wondered to myself about the microline ci4 and i havent seen much or heard much about the differences. I do recall reading that the suggested line to use with this model is powerpro 5 lb. I prefer to use 10lb braid with a 4 or 5 lb leader when trout fishing and im not sure if this reel would have any issues handling that sized line....though i doubt it. If you do go with the microline post on it later....i would be curious to hear.

Kararick- interesting to hear your thoughts on the fenwick river runner. I havent gotten to see one yet but i am now curious. I always have a tougher time finding an ul rod for trout fishing that i like as opposed to rods for bass fishing. My comfort zone on rods is usually in the 100-150 dollar range so maybe that's one ill have to check out.

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 am

I got the 7'6" river runner. I'm not sure you can "pretend" it's an UL rod, though. It seems kind of thick even for a L rod, in my opinion. Also, the rod came with the 1/32-3/16oz lure weight range printed on it, whereas the Fenwick website was advertising 1/32-5/16oz. So I called them, and Mitch Dreisbach (the product manager for rods-Pure Fishing) quickly got back to me to say that there was an error (now remedied) on their website. Thus, it turns out that the 7'6" rod is the only one of the three Light rods in the series that has the lure weight range of an Ultra-Light of the same series (as opposed to the 6'8" and 7'2" Light rods, which boast a 1/32-5/16oz range). Mitch explained to me that the tip of the 7'6" is supposed to be particularly sensitive, more so than of the other Light rods. However, the rod could not be advertised as Ultra-Light, because it can easily deal with bigger fish (you'll get a feeling of that once you see how thick it is and how solid it feels). I'll post here again once I try it out on the river.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 pm

aditud wrote:I got the 7'6" river runner. I'm not sure you can "pretend" it's an UL rod, though. It seems kind of thick even for a L rod, in my opinion. Also, the rod came with the 1/32-3/16oz lure weight range printed on it, whereas the Fenwick website was advertising 1/32-5/16oz. So I called them, and Mitch Dreisbach (the product manager for rods-Pure Fishing) quickly got back to me to say that there was an error (now remedied) on their website. Thus, it turns out that the 7'6" rod is the only one of the three Light rods in the series that has the lure weight range of an Ultra-Light of the same series (as opposed to the 6'8" and 7'2" Light rods, which boast a 1/32-5/16oz range). Mitch explained to me that the tip of the 7'6" is supposed to be particularly sensitive, more so than of the other Light rods. However, the rod could not be advertised as Ultra-Light, because it can easily deal with bigger fish (you'll get a feeling of that once you see how thick it is and how solid it feels). I'll post here again once I try it out on the river.
Thanks for the info. I, too, had noticed the inconsistencies in lure ratings for the 7'6. I am currently trying to decide which stick to pick up for the majority of my trout and panfish duties.

Since you mentioned that the rod is thick for it's power rating, can you comment on the overall weight and balance of the 7'6? I'd really like to pick up a longer rod for spoons and spinners, but not if the added length adds too much weight. Especially since I plan to mate it with an incoming Stradic CI4 1000 ML.

Thanks, in advance.

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 am

I did take some measurements. Turns out the rod is not as thick as I had previously thought (might have been its lighter colour--compared to the EagleGT and HMX that I also own--that threw me off). This table below is for comparison. The circumference is measured where the rod is the thickest.

Fenwick EagleGT 7' Light Fenwick HMX 7'6" Light Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner 7'6" Light

Weight: 4.0 oz 4.3 oz 3.65 oz

Circumference: 1+1/16in 1+1.5/16in 1+3/16in

So, it is a reasonably light rod, lghter than the other Light Fenwicks. Probably comparable to but a bit heavier than the Light rods from St Croix and GLoomis, though it does look a lot better. Also, it's got a very fast taper: it's 1+3/16in thick right above the handle, then about 1+1.5/16in right above the hook keeper. The handle part of split grip is 6in long. From the lower end of it to the bottom end of the rod, you have 6in more.

I have had a blast fishing the Trout Magnet with the EagleGT, which is fast taper too and has a very sensitive tip (feels and handles much better than the 1/16-3/8oz lure rating, I mean it can definitely cast the 1/64oz Trout Magnet). Problem with this rod is that it's a bit too soft and, thus, not so trustworthy when it comes to hooksetting while fishing micro-jigs. It's great with reactive lures like tiny cranks and spinners, where you don't need that much hooksetting power. For slightly heavier cranks and spinners the HMX seems better (more solid feeling and less sensitive tip).

I hope the 7'6" River Runner will deliver. With its incredibly narrow lure rating and sensitive yet reasonably stiff tip, it should be just what I need for fishing the Trout Magnet (my lure of choice when it comes to trout). I'll pair it with a Pflueger Patriarch 9530X (6.5oz with line on it) and use Stroft GTM monofilament (4lb test with and incredible 0.13mm diameter--a strong line, amazingly castable, with very low stretch--ideal for micro-jigs, such as the TM).

P.S. I used to fish for trout with UL equipment, but I went up to L after noticing that currents in decent size streams put a lot of stress on the rod. Also, the trout were completely exhausted by the time I got them in the net. Now I rarely use UL, only when I fish a small and not so fast stream, with smaller fish.

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:02 am

So, I did take the rod (paired with the Pflueger Patriarch 9530X) on the stream a couple of times now. I like it. I still think they could have made it a bit thinner with more of an UL feeling. As it is, any trout less than 1lb feels like nothing. You have to hook into a 2lb-er to feel some rush. Also, the combo's a bit tip heavy. The reel weighs about 6.6oz spooled with mono. So, it looks like a heavier reel (7.5oz ?) would be a better match if you like your combo balanced right at the reel seat. I don't have that problem as I like to hold the combo from above the seat.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:19 am

Great thread you guys just answered two questions I had. With the rating on the 7'6 river runner it looks like I found a replacement for my 7 foot eagle gt! How well does the 7'6" cast 1/64 trout magnets?

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:01 am

Tomhdez wrote:Great thread you guys just answered two questions I had. With the rating on the 7'6 river runner it looks like I found a replacement for my 7 foot eagle gt! How well does the 7'6" cast 1/64 trout magnets?
Glad I could be of help! I took the 7' eagle gt Light out on the stream yesterday, for old time's sake. The trout (especially the browns) in SW PA were really feeding yesterday, so I had lots of action. Unfortunately, I only managed to net about half of the ones I hooked. The tip of the eagle gt just doesn't compare to the tip of the River Runner, the latter allows for much more solid hooksets. Again, I'm only talking about micro-jigs, such as the Trout Magnet (I'm sure the eagle gt will do a great job with cranks and spinners). My favourite streams here in SW PA do not allow for fishing the TM as I used to in SW Wisconsin (calmer waters, flatter, muddier bottoms, so I fished the TM without extra weight or float, just retrieved it while jerking my wrist). Here I need one of those EZ Floats, plus a tiny (#4) tin shot about 8" above the jig (otherwise the jig would never get close to the bottom, where I want it, before the current sweeps it downstream past me). Difference is, now the line has some slack, no matter how quickly you retrieve to keep up with the current. I guess that's why in Wisconsin I had very few misses even with the eagle gt (didn't have the river runner then, anyway), I could "feel" the jig at all times, there was no float in between. The good thing is that the river runner helps with setting the hook more promptly, and I had only a couple of misses.

As for casting the TM, what can I say? With the EZ Float and the 0.2g tin shot, I can put it wherever I want it, virtually. You can go both far and precise. Haven't had the chance to do it without the float and the shot, though.