Okuma Serrano

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Okuma Serrano

Post by Basswrangler » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:13 am

I just saw a serrano for the first time in person. The reel seems really nice and smooth and love the super low profile. I'm looking for a reel to throw plastics, Just wondering if anyone has tried this. I know the reel is really not built to throw plastics, but honestly I think it looks awesome on the C3 rod and want to give it a try. I just want to make sure that plastics are within the scope of this reel.

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Okuma Serrano

Post by Bassboss » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:09 am

Tackle tour did a review on 'em. Check it out, it oughta help! :)]

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewokumaserrano.html

radray
Angler
Angler

Post by radray » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:34 am

My friend has a Serrano and I have seen him use it to toss senkos, carolina rig, texas rig and jigs. He likes it a lot. However, I have not seen him cast fly lined finesse worms because of the conditions here lately ( windy and choppy water). The reel has a nice free spool and I don't see why it will not cast plastics well. I hope that helps. By the way, after trying his Serrano I purchased the Cayenne and it is a very nice reel for the price. I like it.

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks, I figured it would work fine for plastics, guess I was just nervous that this reel was marketed heavily for saltwater and figured it might be best with heavy baits.

Radray, I was eye'n up the Cayenne as well, but I really like the look of the Serrano on matching rod.

Thanks fellas

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:27 pm

I had one of these. Did a review of it but it's now gone because of the server crash. I used it primarily for plastics. It's a good caster and palms very comfortably. The only thing I didn't like about it was the smallish handle grips.