Quantum Tour Edition PT Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Ram
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Quantum Tour Edition PT Reel

Post by Ram » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:06 am

I just purchased a new Quantum PT Tour Edition Reel (TE101SPT) and love how smooth it feels. Of course I haven't had a chance to actually fish with it yet, but one thing I did notice was that you have to really tighten the drag handle to even get the drag to be somewhat tight. Is this normal for this type of reel? Of course I haven't had a new reel in a LONG time, because all my older reels seem to have a much tighter drag system.

My question is, is this normal for this type of reel or "newer" reels? The drag is really smooth, but it just doesn't seem like it will take much to strip drag even when the drag handle is screwed down very tight!

Thanks for any help or information.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Quantum Tour Edition PT Reel

Post by smalljaw » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 am

That doesn't sound right, I have a Tour Edition PT and if I've found one thing that Quantum does better is drags, in fact when I lock down the drag using 12# copoly the line will break before the drag slips, That being said, what line are you using and are you sure the drag is locked down?
Barlow's Tackle

Valky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Valky » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 pm

The grease is on your drag washer. Not a problem, just clean it and it will be perfectly fine.

Ram
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Ram » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:53 am

Thanks guys!
Valky wrote:The grease is on your drag washer. Not a problem, just clean it and it will be perfectly fine.
After doing some research, I saw that this could be a problem with a drag slipping like that. Now, when I look on the schematic drawing of the reel, there is a big Drag Washer inside the reel itself (with all the other gears), and then there are two little Drag "D" Washers in the reel handle assembly that look like this () when put together. I'm assuming the Drag Washer that needs cleaned is the big one inside the reel?

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:23 am

The drag discs and washers are housed adjacent to the main gear, along the handle shaft. These are the components that should be grease free to avoid slippage.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

bp182
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bp182 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:56 pm

PainInTheBass wrote:The drag discs and washers are housed adjacent to the main gear, along the handle shaft. These are the components that should be grease free to avoid slippage.
I own 6 of these new Tour Edition PTs and none slip when the drag is locked down, check for grease on the drag discs and clean them off.

jos3ph4ever
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jos3ph4ever » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:58 pm

facing same problem with my quantum pt too,will try fix it and leave feedback here..

jos3ph4ever
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jos3ph4ever » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:01 am

yeah,i clean the oil on the drag disc and washer,now the drag is stronger,but felt like not smooth enough..
anyway i prefer stronger drag than slip drag..