New equipment?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
shakeyleftarm
Angler
Angler

New equipment?

Post by shakeyleftarm » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:24 am

I mostly salmon and steelhead fish in Lake Michigan and it's tributaries. I have an assortment of Shimano Stratics and Saros', a couple of Shimano Calcutta 200B's that I fish with. My best bud inherited a bass boat so I'm going to be doing some bass fishin'. Should I spend the money and buy some low profile baitcast reels? Thoughts?
If I can't catch it, it isn't worth catchin'

bigfish85
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New equipment?

Post by bigfish85 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:28 am

Those Calcuttas and spinning reels will work just fine. I wouldn't go out and spend a bunch of money on low-profile reels unless you either 1) really want to and have lots of money or 2) decide you need MORE combos. The latter is VERY likely...especially since you're on this site.

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:41 am

I use both Round and Low Profile Reels for bass fishing. Go out and put one in your hand to see if you like it. If you do, buy it and let the Festivities begin.

shakeyleftarm
Angler
Angler

Post by shakeyleftarm » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:42 am

One always needs more combos no matter the species!

Heavy Action
Angler
Angler

Post by Heavy Action » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:55 am

shakeyleftarm wrote:I mostly salmon and steelhead fish in Lake Michigan and it's tributaries. I have an assortment of Shimano Stratics and Saros', a couple of Shimano Calcutta 200B's that I fish with. My best bud inherited a bass boat so I'm going to be doing some bass fishin'. Should I spend the money and buy some low profile baitcast reels? Thoughts?

You should be fine with what you have.........until the monkey starts calling!

deathb4golf
Angler
Angler

Post by deathb4golf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:21 am

Hey Shakey,
Your Calcuttas will be just fine to get you started. If you want to learn to flip/pitch, you might want to try a low profile w a wider spool. Its much easier to learn on them. Spend your money on lures and learn some techniques first.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Agreed with everyone here. If your not going do do alot of bass fishing and do more steelhead and salmon then i wouldnt no. But like Heavy Action said the monkey will start and the it really gos up hill :lol:. The reels you have now will work great. The Calcutta will do anything you wanted it to do, from crankbaits to flipping really good round reel.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:51 pm

You will eventually buy more stuff (we all do), but what you have now will perform just fine!
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:22 pm

shakeyleftarm wrote:I mostly salmon and steelhead fish in Lake Michigan and it's tributaries. I have an assortment of Shimano Stratics and Saros', a couple of Shimano Calcutta 200B's that I fish with. My best bud inherited a bass boat so I'm going to be doing some bass fishin'. Should I spend the money and buy some low profile baitcast reels? Thoughts?
I'd bass fish for a little bit before venturing into new gear. Don't wait too long, but don't get something that will serve little purpose to early either. After a couple of months you'll find something you need.

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:40 pm

I think what you have is fine as well. I have a lot of low profile reels, but I recently picked up a Calcutta for crankbaits and found that I really like the round reel as well. I'm going to add a few more.
If you end up doing more bass fishing you'll have plenty of time to add more combos...and more, and more.

shakeyleftarm
Angler
Angler

Post by shakeyleftarm » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:05 pm

[quote="db220"If you end up doing more bass fishing you'll have plenty of time to add more combos...and more, and more.[/quote]

I do like MORE! =D>

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:58 am

More is always better, but what you have will will be ok.