Quantum Smoke vs. Lew's reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Quantum Smoke vs. Lew's reel

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Is it just me or is the Quantum Smoke and Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool Casting Reel utilizing the same frame? I thought about picking up a Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool reel up, but was wondering if anyone has gotten to open one up? What are the guts, and particularly the drag like? Any thoughts are much appreciated. :big grin:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

sou_i_are
Angler
Angler

Re: Quantum Smoke vs. Lew's reel

Post by sou_i_are » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:34 pm

i think the lews reels are built in the same factories as the pure fishing and bass pro reels

revo680
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by revo680 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:58 am

I was just looking at both of them at cabelas. The Lews frame is a little smaller I believe. I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on one of those Lews TP. They look and feel really nice in person.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:39 am

revo680 wrote:I was just looking at both of them at cabelas. The Lews frame is a little smaller I believe. I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on one of those Lews TP. They look and feel really nice in person.
The Lews frame is smaller, I went to Cabelas to check them out when I saw the specs and the weight of the Lews was about the same as the Smoke , after looking at them and holding both it is obvious the frame is smaller but it is a super nice reel, if I didn't get a Smoke I would have gotten the Lews, in fact it may be the next reel I get.
Barlow's Tackle

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:59 am

Do any of you guys know if the knobs are bearing supported?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:20 pm

The knobs on the new Lew's reels are bearing supported.