Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:16 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:45 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:34 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:51 pm

I know. Jun is always very conscientious with such matters so that’s why I’m wondering about it.
Does Daiwa make a habit of putting ‘Made in Japan’ on reels that ultimately aren’t? I’m not being a jackass, I’m genuinely curious.
No.
Didn’t Bronzefly say the new Zillions for the American market were made in Thailand with a bronze gear?
Here’s the link to for japantackle.com Zillion

https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/d ... 00293.html

Nowhere in that description does it say whether the gear is aluminum or bronze. But to be fair, none of the other sites provide gear material or place of origin. I would hate to order a reel and get something less than advertised. I believe that’s what’s referred to as a “pig in a poke”?
I bought 3 of the Zillion 10 reels and think they are tops BUT I knew what they were when I bought them. That’s my only point. Thanks and I’ll give up the floor.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:50 am

Got my pre-order in at TTT.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:16 am

Johnny A wrote:
Didn’t Bronzefly say the new Zillions for the American market were made in Thailand with a bronze gear?
Here’s the link to for japantackle.com
I guess I’m still confused on what you’re asking.

Bronzefly confirmed that USDM had brass gears and was the main reason for the substantial increased weight in USDM over JDM. My deductive reasoning skills lead me to believe USDM is brass and JDM is aluminum.

Regarding the origin of manufacturing, the ‘Made in Japan’ on the JDM version leads me to believe it’s not being made in Cleveland :lol: .

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:24 am

CFDoc wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:16 am
Johnny A wrote:
Here’s the link to for japantackle.com
I guess I’m still confused on what you’re asking.

Bronzefly confirmed that USDM had brass gears and was the main reason for the substantial increased weight in USDM over JDM. My deductive reasoning skills lead me to believe USDM is brass and JDM is aluminum.

Regarding the origin of manufacturing, the ‘Made in Japan’ on the JDM version leads me to believe it’s not being made in Cleveland :lol: .
Maybe I’m not explaining my point of view clearly. This isn’t sarcastic. This is trying to explain my point of view.
1. There are 2 versions of the Zillion 1000.
2. 1 version manufactured in Japan. 1 version manufactured in Thailand.
3. The version manufactured in Japan has an aluminum main gear. The version manufactured in Thailand has a bronze main gear.
4. The JDM model has a “Made In Japan” sticker on the reel foot. The Thailand version has a “Made In Thailand” sticker.
5. None of the vendors show the reel foot which shows the sticker OR a statement of origin.

Before I make a purchase, I want to know which vendor is selling which reel. That should be clear. Thank you.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:36 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:24 am

Before I make a purchase, I want to know which vendor is selling which reel. That should be clear. Thank you.
Ohhh I see now. Only took me 5 explanations :lol:

I would be shocked if the Thailand version shows up at my door from Japan tackle. The listed weight on Japan Tackle’s site is the lower aluminum gear weight. Which leads me to believe it’s the Made in Japan version.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:42 am

CFDoc wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:36 am
Johnny A wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:24 am

Ohhh I see now. Only took me 5 explanations :lol:

I would be shocked if the Thailand version shows up at my door from Japan tackle. The listed weight on Japan Tackle’s site is the lower aluminum gear weight. Which leads me to believe it’s the Made in Japan version.
I’ve probably said it here, so it’s not big secret, I had a stroke a few years back so I can have difficulty communicating an idea across. No worries.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:49 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:42 am

I’ve probably said it here, so it’s not big secret, I had a stroke a few years back so I can have difficulty communicating an idea across. No worries.
It certainly isn’t your fault. I kept thinking you were asking questions and not just making statements.

Sorry about the stroke. I was unaware.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:40 am

CFDoc wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:49 am
Johnny A wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:42 am

It certainly isn’t your fault. I kept thinking you were asking questions and not just making statements.

Sorry about the stroke. I was unaware.
That’s alright. I didn’t mean to put the kibosh on the conversation. I was just trying to explain what was going on, not trying to troll you.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:05 pm

TommyG wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:50 am
I think I'm going to have to spend some of my stimulus money there also... President's orders right?

Looks like the USDM Version has a darker handle as well. I think I prefer the silver handle. Oh well. I hope I can swap in a Zillion Type R Drag Star for some contrast.

Does TT10 work on preorders also?

DaveJ

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:11 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:05 pm
TommyG wrote:
I think I'm going to have to spend some of my stimulus money there also... President's orders right?

Looks like the USDM Version has a darker handle as well. I think I prefer the silver handle. Oh well. I hope I can swap in a Zillion Type R Drag Star for some contrast.

DaveJ
The JDM zillion handle is a very dark gunmetal. darker than the steez A handle.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Interesting. All of the pictures I've seen of the JDM version it has a much lighter colored handle than the USDM Version pictured on Tackle Trap. The USDM is nearly black while the JDM looks medium silver.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:33 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:05 pm
TommyG wrote:

DaveJ
Yes Indeed!!!

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:34 am

Kayo Sonoda at Japan Tackle responded to my email.

She stated "The gear is silver in color, and I assume it is made of ESD duralumin".

Me delivery date is Wednesday. I'll let you know what I find.
Last edited by CFDoc on Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:42 am

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:34 am
Kayo Sonoda at Japan Tackle responded to my email.

He stated "The gear is silver in color, and I assume it is made of ESD duralumin".

Me delivery date is Wednesday. I'll let you know what I find.
Just catching up to this thread... side note btw, Kayo is female :) She's Jun's wife.

The JDM version of the new Zillion does indeed come with an aluminum (duralumin) gear. Apologies for not seeing the question come up sooner and answering. US version will be/is brass.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:56 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:42 am

Just catching up to this thread... side note btw, Kayo is female :) She's Jun's wife.

The JDM version of the new Zillion does indeed come with an aluminum (duralumin) gear. Apologies for not seeing the question come up sooner and answering. US version will be/is brass.
Thanks for the information about Kayo. I will update.

Also, the confusion was not centered around whether or not the JDM version has aluminum gears or not. We are all aware it does.

The confusion was that JohnnyA was curious if Japan Tackle, specifically, was selling the "Made in Japan" or "Made in Thailand" version of the reel. I am 99.9% sure Japan Tackle is selling the "Made in Japan" version. I will know 100% on Wednesday.